2 routers and 2 modems same network

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
can i have 2 routers and 2 modems connected together? if i gave static ip addresses to the devices that i want to connect to modem 1 and static ip addresses to the devices that i want to use modem 2 - can i still have them so i can get to all devices no matter which router I'm connected too....

So dchp on one router maybe 192.168.1.1 and other router 192.168.2.1 ?

Been messing and not sure i can?

But with the defualt net mask they are 2 different networks m8.

not sure why you would wanna do this apart from some sort of load balancing.

not sure it can be done but i would try each device with the 1st n last ip address in the range but only one would be the Default Gateway so traffic would be routed out that device with that IP addy.

can i have 2 routers and 2 modems connected together? if i gave static ip addresses to the devices that i want to connect to modem 1 and static ip addresses to the devices that i want to use modem 2 - can i still have them so i can get to all devices no matter which router I'm connected too....
Been messing and not sure i can?

lol, why are things never simple with you!?

Any particular reason why you want 2 gateways?

Why not just have 1 gateway and bridge the routers? :)

I got to ask, what you are trying to achieve ?

Load balancing, redundacy, seperation of networks ?

Witchy you know me son, nothing straight forward...lol

ok, well have a dual wan load balanced router connected to 2 modems that does my network (didn't want to confuse the matter with 2 networks and 3 modems so thought i'd keep it simple...lol)

so have a dual wan (2 modems connected) to a linksys wireless router that supplies all my equipment with the net, then have a single modem attached to a router that does just my dreambox/xbox 360......

I'd like my dream/xbox to use one modem/router and the rest of the pc's/laptops etc use the dual wan.....but what ever device i'm on still be able to get to all the other devices....

ta.!

so any one know if this is possible then? still struggling with it,

have gave config ip addresses for all and can get to the routers config page etc.....

192.168.1.1 netgear VPN Dual wan 2 x modems connected load balanced
192.168.1.3 Linksys Wireless router
192.168.1.5 netgear router 1 x modem connected

i can access all systems but when i connect a device it some times gets offered an ip address from the netgear router, rather than the dual wan.

what about if i gave a static ip address for the dreambox as say 192.168.1.20 and only allowed the range on the netgear router as 192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.20 ?

then it wont have any more ip addresses to dish out if any equipment is connected?

Back