2 hubs

gez

VIP Member
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 2 hubs can I connect both 1 upstairs 1 downstairs. Have 2 cables from outside box,same connection, 1 up 1 down, thanks.

Last edited:
do you mean two virgin hubs if so then no you need to have a router that can be used as a bridge or access point

Reactions: gez
Yep 2 hubs ,1 is modern one 2nd is older one, have to try and learn what I need to do then with a router

you can use one and get a router that will use ddwrt , connect the hub to the second router via cable and then change a few settings on the ddwrt router . these very from router to router

That's it, I now have a headache, @turner brown I havn't a clue what you said so I'm gonna have to do some learing. Thank you for your advice very much appreciated.

ok the 2 routers need to be able to talk to each other
one gives out the ip addresses and the other just acts as an access point so you can use the ports and the wifi signal from second router
to do this we need a router that can act as access point .
ddwrt is a firmware that can be loaded to over right the factory software on the router and give more options , this means the router can act as access point as a lot of factory software is limited

Thanks Turner will have a look, I am a serious luddite and takes a few efforts and time to learn but will have a go. What router do you recommend.

what you want to spend and what will be connected to it
does speed matter or just an internet connection to a pc for browsing

Speed is 100 , downstairs is TV 2 tablets and phones etc plus guests, up is desktop PC and printer, PC I watch films whilst she watches corrie etc, also have a sub iptv downstairs on the TV so what best connection there.

you may find cheaper than this but was just to show you the idea of using these

to give more advice do a drawing with what u have now and what you would like
in the drawing show where a device is wifi or hard wired as i always use hardwired where this is
an option

Hard wired then branch off . , loving the pie VPN for free bit slow then liking the fook off list config n1 guys :)

so it looks like you use mostly wifi . i would move router upstairs and hard wire the pc and others and then might be easier to get yourself a set of powerline adaptors with wifi
TP-Link TL-WPA4220TKIT AV600 Powerline 300M Wi-Fi Extender with 2 LAN Ports X 3 98798469 | eBay

these are easy to set up and should give you hardwire ports where needed
Got those but doesn't seem to up the speed much, can usually get 108 megs upload whilst near hub ,but down to 35 to 50 thru powerline.

just tried thru powerline and get 16 download and 5.5 upload, wireless I get 35 download 5 upload , that should be good enough to watch odd film etc on pc upstairs. that's with 100 mb on virgin, downstairs on tablet and phone 108 megs also got tv wired in to watch me iptv sub.

@gez you could get a switch upstairs, and run some cable to it, then run cable from it to the devices. Alternatively as some have said, get some powerline adapters, but get 500Mbps ones or even 1Gbps ones if you can. Depends on budget tbf.

Reactions: gez
@gez i deffo think you need to be looking at a wired connection,not being rude but thinking you are getting your up/down speeds mangled somehow, if you have a 100mb connection and a wired setup,you should have a pretty stable connection,the figures you quoted are all over the place,a simple switch would let you connect almost anywhere in your house/location with a cable ,giving you full speed everywhere in your house

This is downstairs near the hub

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190814-084058_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20190814-084058_Speedtest.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 6
This is on PC upstairs using wireless, tried it with powerline and speed drops quite abit

Attachments

• 20190814_084504.jpg
    20190814_084504.jpg
    874 KB · Views: 5
Back