15 Year Old Develops Own Noob friendly Linux Distrubution

fr33d0m

Child / Teanage member also Known as zerofool2005
Reaction score
Obstacles such as financial constraints, very minimum PC resources, did not in any way deter the grit of Kerala-based, 15-year old Sarath Lakshman from developing SLYNUX- a highly user-friendly GNU/Linux operating system designed for beginners. A completely self-taught person, who has never stepped into a computer-learning institute in his lifetime, his tale is one of guts and more guts.

d like to know how he coded this if he never been taught how to use a computer. C/C++ isnt really the most basic of programming languages

http://www.cxotoday.com/cxo/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=3903&cat_id=913

Would love to do my own distrubution. Maybe id better go get some books

Im just looking for a small distrubution to stick on a old i386 box and run as a server

Well well! That's pretty cool but no plans on testing it :p

Never really taken to Linux. Used Windows for too long. Networking on Ubuntu (Linux for human beings they say?!) made me want to throw my PC through the window so I gave up. Suse looks appealing though so might dabble with that sometime.

The best linux i have seen was called BackTrack2 google it and have a look
it is easy to use......

The best linux i have seen was called BackTrack2 google it and have a look
it is easy to use......

Well, that depend of what for You use/need distro.
As developer I can say that ( if We speak about teenager ) that's pretty nice work ( so IQ is over normal ) but if We speak about peoples who work every day about 10-15 hours ( professionals/programmers/coders/developers ) they need lot's of extra stuff ( compiler/databases/etc. ) So, it's hard to say what distro is best for anyone-it's a personal choice.

Well well! That's pretty cool but no plans on testing it :p

Never really taken to Linux. Used Windows for too long. Networking on Ubuntu (Linux for human beings they say?!) made me want to throw my PC through the window so I gave up. Suse looks appealing though so might dabble with that sometime.

I using Suse from ver 9.2 ( now, I have OpenSuse 10.2 ) and can tell You that it is very good. No problem's at all.

good reading mate anyone here gonna give it a go would this distro be helpful for the dbox school?

For school-Yes, for programming-No ( You must to install lot's of extra stuff )
And sure, If You aren't work with Linux, this is good for start. For dbox questions, ..... hmmm, depend of what for You want to use Your machine. If We talking about skin's/channel list's and some minor work then You can use any version of MS winshit and program's what are make for W ( allso CygWin stuff ) So, it's simple: if You was never try any Linux distro-this is very good but if You are in Linux and want to do something with Your dbox then better use any complete ( full ) distro like Suse, Ubuntu, Debian, ....

Looks half decent maybe if he could get some developers to help him and some financial backing it could go a long way

i'v used lunix before but i gotta say im used to windows and it pissed me off somthing awfal!

Don't know what the fuss is about it is knoppix with some additional programs added, I have a modified knoppix for ham radio stuff here somewhere ( AR-Knoppix/Afu-Knoppix) you can call it what you like it's still knoppix .

Still a bright kid though and if a bit of hype gives him encouragement and maybe sponsership then good luck o him.

@hixy yes it could be used in the school (s) but I prefer ubuntu in a vmware window :) .

The thing with linux is we all like our own flavours :)

Back