MAG box 12v pluged into 5v mag250

river4ever

river4ever
Reaction score
My wee lad thought it was a good idea to move his mag 250 into another room.
The only problem is he used an openbox plug that is 12v and mag 250 are 5v. Box is not even powering up now!!!
Is there away to get it fixed? Or is it beyond repair?

I couldn't find an image of the underside of the power connector on this one Stevie. The topside appears as if it takes the 5v input to what may be a voltage regulator which supplies the 3.3v.
There maybe a diode or some other protection device on the underside but I wouldn't bank on it.

The component size is small and not really suited for someone who hasn't got the right equipment.

I couldn't find an image of the underside of the power connector on this one Stevie. The topside appears as if it takes the 5v input to what may be a voltage regulator which supplies the 3.3v.
There maybe a diode or some other protection device on the underside but I wouldn't bank on it.

The component size is small and not really suited for someone who hasn't got the right equipment.

It might use that 5V directly for the USB, HDMI etc. I can't imagine them having another converter from 3V3 to 5V again for cost.

It might have damaged more than just the 3V3.

It might use that 5V directly for the USB, HDMI etc. I can't imagine them having another converter from 3V3 to 5V again for cost.

It might have damaged more than just the 3V3.

I was only referring to the topside of the circuit board Spectre, lol. I haven't seen the underside

I opened it up.
At first glance there does not seem to be any damage. This is just checking the top of the board but there's nothing happening when powered up.
The crazy thing about these mag boxes is your line is tied into the MAC address.
A stupid mistake like that can cost box and viewing.

What makes it so frustrating is the openbox was useless and now the mag box is useless. LOL.

I opened it up.
At first glance there does not seem to be any damage. This is just checking the top of the board but there's nothing happening when powered up.
The crazy thing about these mag boxes is your line is tied into the MAC address.
A stupid mistake like that can cost box and viewing.

What makes it so frustrating is the openbox was useless and now the mag box is useless. LOL.

@river4ever Please post some pictures of both sides of the board out of the case.

@chookey is more experienced in consumer electronic repair than I am but we can all have a look :).

As pics show there does not seem to be damage. But I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_3876.JPG
    IMG_3876.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3877.JPG
    IMG_3877.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
Well the underside doesn't help unfortunately, 5v from there probably going via a via, lol.
The topside of your pic looks a little different to the one I looked at. If that is D11 in front of your dc jack then that could well be open circuit now. If you have a meter you could check to see if you have 5v on one side and not on the other. It looks more like a zero ohms link to me though, could have done with a higher resolution picture.

Back