10% cpu usage

bardar

Inactive User
Reaction score
When i turn on comp after a few minutes the cpu usage runs around 10% constant, nothing shows in task manager or high memory use.
If i reboot its fine? i tried a clean instal of windows but the problem still exists, any ideads? cheers

With no programs running it should be no more than 1 or 2 %
When its at 10% the comp lags and the mouse pointer drags across the screen. regards

are you using vista? If you are, it could be vista indexing all of your apps in one go.

If not, I would imagine there is something going on in the background, like an AV or firewall in the positive instance. Or possibly some malware.

are you using vista? If you are, it could be vista indexing all of your apps in one go.

If not, I would imagine there is something going on in the background, like an AV or firewall in the positive instance. Or possibly some malware.

Running xp sp2, firewall is disabled and its running avg free,
So as far as i see it the problem is there at boot up but after i restart windows its gone with all the same settings and programs running.
regards

I would try Process Explorer. If you google it, you can download it free and it will tell you a lot more thats going on than task manager.

If you have switched off all the programs you can then I would suggest a device driver issue potentially.

What happens when you start in safe mode ?

Because after a reboot it seems to clear the problem i havent been able to replicate it again today (after 4 reboots) so will try these tools tomorow and let you know the outcome. thanks for the help regards

Update, running process explorer now and the cpu usage is showing as hardware interrupts? anyone shed any light on that?

cheers

I guess something is sharing an IRQ or a driver problem.

Any new hardware installed recently?

Or are you installing from a different source than the last time you did install?

Interrupts are provided so that devices can request attention from the CPU.

CPUID reports my cpu at 2ghz instead of 2.66 the multiplier shows at 6x instead of 8x which is what i believe it should be.
My CPU is intel core 2 duo E6750 stepping GO and CPUID REV is 6FB.
Hope this means something to you guys :Dunce:

Back