1.6L engine to be classed the same as 2.2L Sports car

Carbon footprint or physical footprint?

Why?

My engine is smaller and I make less trips than the 2.2L

Good points, I was referring to the size and not carbon footprint.

Why - Your MPV is for private use. As an exaggerated example if your MPV carried 15 people would you expect to pay even less road tax? You are a private individual, it was your choice to have a large family, it just doesn't make sense to offer you lower road tax based on the number of children you have. When your kids grow up there will be 5 more cars on the road as opposed to 2 or 3 for the normal family so in the long term it could be argued that as a result of having above average children you are creating more waste and pollution.

Your activities at home are a leading contributor to pollution :Smileysex

This thread has me intrigued but Fubar you never answered witchy's simple test...lol

His wife has a 1.6 family car
He has a 1.6 family car

The want to go from A to B so.

Wife takes 3 kids
He takes 2 kids

They all arrive safely.

Would it have been better for the enviroment if they had all went in a 1.6 mpv ????

I think thats the crux of this thread...but I may just be a thick paddy....:proud:

No, because he would be a driving a bus!:)

But it is only because of his large family, he only needs to do one trip where you would need to do 8, so surely he should not have to pay more tax simply because he has a large family ?.....

I think thats the crux of this thread...but I may just be a thick paddy....:proud:

Not really the crux of the thread at all. Theres no doubt that having the one larger car is more efficient in this instance. And in fact he will pay less tax as a result as he only taxes one car rather than the two cars.

The disagreement was whether the family size should have any bearing on the price of tax at all. band.

Update: I think reading further into this now, the real complaint was that he assumed that the car he was buying was a lower tax band.

This thread has me intrigued but Fubar you never answered witchy's simple test...lol

The answer is simple Jaffa, they buy a MPV and understand why the VED is so high :proud:

Why - Your MPV is for private use. As an exaggerated example if your MPV carried 15 people would you expect to pay even less road tax? You are a private individual, it was your choice to have a large family, it just doesn't make sense to offer you lower road tax based on the number of children you have.

lol, I don't want to pay less road tax because i have 5 kids!

Forget the kids, lets pretend they don't exist.

Now, imagine there are 2 cars, one is a 1.6L engine and the other is a 2.2L engine, traditionally we all paid the same amount of road tax but the goverments pretending it 'cares' and is looking to 'punish' larger car owners by hitting them in the pocket, who should be punished more the 2.2L or the 1.6L ?

Now lets add the kids back into the equation...

7 people using a smaller engine or 2 people using a larger engine to make the same journey, who should be punished more?

Well the two people are getting punished more.

Road Tax = £350

For two people that is £175 per person
For 7 people thats £50 per person.

But it is only because of his large family, he only needs to do one trip where you would need to do 8, so surely he should not have to pay more tax simply because he has a large family ?.....

Yes he should pay more tax, because he's driving a fooking bus!

THIS IS NOT ABOUT GETTING ANY TYPE OF TAX CONCESSION/REBATE/BENEFIT.

Why do you keep harping on about people wanting concessions because they have a bigger car?

:err:

Road Tax = £350

But its not about tax.....it apparently about being greener (which I am strongly against...lol).

Which would be eviromentally better ???

Road Tax = £350

Pity kids don't have the £50 per head to cover it. Only one person pays the roadtax in my house and that's me, the owner.

Do you all chip in equal amounts to make the car road legal? :)

Yes he should pay more tax, because he's driving a fooking bus!

THIS IS NOT ABOUT GETTING ANY TYPE OF TAX CONCESSION/REBATE/BENEFIT.

Why do you keep harping on about people wanting concessions because they have a bigger car?

:err:

I keep harping on about concessions because YOU WANT ONE !! lol

And just exactly what are you driving if it aint a bus lol :action-sm

No it wasn't!

lol

This thread is nuts!

I think you keep trying to change it to suit.

It started my family is large I pay too much
then it became
my engines so small I pay too much
then it became
My engine has too high emissions, they never told me that before I bought
then it became
Lets forget about the size of the family, however I think it should be cheaper if I had more people in my car.

Oh and the double standard came in because you think someone who had a busload of people shouldn't benefit from the same reductions that you think you should benefit from.

But its not about tax.....it apparently about being greener (which I am strongly against...lol).

Which would be eviromentally better ???

No it isn't. It's cos he feels he's paying too much tax. Who am I to disagree, I think we all pay too much tax.

Do you all chip in equal amounts to make the car road legal? :)

Yes, the two people that use my car (me and the wife) chip in to keep the car road legal. Do you think I should pay less for my car if I decide to have children?

hey: the title changed, when did that happen?

fooking sell the car and get a bus pass for u and the kids pmsl
may take u longer to get to from a to b but u will eventually get there, and no added extras as road tax etc etc :) greener all round :) :)

cheers

osborne82

I keep harping on about concessions because YOU WANT ONE !!

lol, no I don't!

I'm having a rant about what I consider to be unfair tax banding for vehicles!

But, it appears that the taxation is due to Vauxhall fitting a skanky engine which produces more pollution than many other 1.6L engines, it's not the size of the engine nor the people that it carries, it's just a shit engine that is inefficient and poisoning the planet!

BTW, if I were to be offered a concession I'd take it ;)

lol, no I don't!

I'm having a rant about what I consider to be unfair tax banding for vehicles!

But, it appears that the taxation is due to Vauxhall fitting a skanky engine which produces more pollution than many other 1.6L engines, it's not the size of the engine nor the people that it carries, it's just a shit engine that is inefficient and poisoning the planet!

BTW, if I were to be offered a concession I'd take it ;)

I can see your next thread already ..." I paid too much for a shit engine" !! lol

And I know you would, and so would I :Cheers:

I think you keep trying to change it to suit.

Oh and the double standard came in because you think someone who had a busload of people shouldn't benefit from the same reductions that you think you should benefit from.

Christ Almighty.

True. The thread and my stance on the matter has changed slightly as I realised that it was the level of pollution my engine produced that caused the tax banding, but at no point have i asked for any type of rebate simply because I have a larger than average family.

The thread did not at any time say "my family is large I pay too much', I said that due to the fact that I have a large family and I need a MPV vehicle to transport them around, I find that the goverment is wanting to tax me in the same category as a sports car with a sports engine', THAT is what I was saying, not "I don't know what birth control is so like all the other leechers I want free road tax, fook it while I'm at it give me a free car"

:)

NO way should a basic family car like a zafira be taxed the same as a audi TT 2.2 etc thats just fuking stupid cars should be taxed by engine size simple as what do common folk no about footprints etc

fcuk that pooto yous are having giggle :proud:

Back