1.6L engine to be classed the same as 2.2L Sports car

lol, I'm not after any benefits mate. I didn't say I wanted any tax breaks, but yes, I am a horny bastard ;)

I'm moaning because I need a MPV to get my tribe around, it carries 7 people and only has a 1.6 engine, the fuel economy for this amount of people in one car with a 1.6 engine must be considered good

So why am I going to be paying the same amount of road tax as a fooking gas guzzling 2.2 litre sports car with 2 seats driven by a fanny?

1.6 litre family car with 7 occupants.
2.2 litre Wank car with 1 occupant.

Doesn't add up in my book.

A 1.6L engine carrying 7 people would have to work just as hard as a 2.2L carrying 1 person. Does this not equal it up?

What about the actual footprint of your car, I bet its larger than that of the smaller 2 seater, does this come into the equation?

The amount of seats a motor vehicle has should only be important if it is used for public services, any private vehicle regardless of seats should in theory be liable for the same road tax.

I take it you lads don't like covertables LOL

@ Stevemac40

Yes :)

And I agree that my choice of title is a bit missleading, lol.

The 'punishment' I'm talking about is the fact that any car I purchase has to be a MPV, and now thanks to the new VED announced today I'm going to be paying the same VED as a two seater sports car, simply because it is a MPV, it may be a slightly larger than average car but it still only has a 1.6L engine and it carries 7 people at a time, in my book the carbon footprint is far less than the 2.2 sporty number.

witchy my friend we actually agree on something ;) lol

I too have a people carrier and have a large family I'm not sure if my car comes into the high bracket tbh (I'm sure it must do)
and I feel the same as you m8,punished is the right word
punished for having a large family

we don't choose to have a gas guzzler like some we NEED a large car to transport our family

Was it not YOUR choice to have a big family ?

yes m8 it was my choice :) but what is wrong with that ?

a different subject I know but whats wrong with me loving kids and bringing new life into the world ?

A 1.6L engine carrying 7 people would have to work just as hard as a 2.2L carrying 1 person. Does this not equal it up?

The 2.2L would need to make THREE trips to get the same number of people to the destination.

What about the actual footprint of your car, I bet its larger than that of the smaller 2 seater, does this come into the equation?

Carbon footprint or physical footprint?

Carbon, not sure, but for me to get 7 people from point A to point B would only take 1 journey as opposed to the 3 trips for the two seater, so I'd have a guess and say that my carbon footprint for this task would be much less than the 2.2L

Physical Footprint, the Zafira is based on the MKIV Astra, it's taller but I think the rest of the dimensions are the same, though I suspect it may be a few inch longer.

The amount of seats a motor vehicle has should only be important if it is used for public services, any private vehicle regardless of seats should in theory be liable for the same road tax.

Why?

My engine is smaller and I make less trips than the 2.2L

Love them mate, but wouldn't want to tax it next year and they are useless to me. :)

Last edited:

a different subject I know but whats wrong with me loving kids and bringing new life into the world ?

Stop it Rat, your going to make me cry :banana: lol

So if we had a ultra horny Gypsy (for example only) with 50 kids then you would agree to him having a full sized bus with the same VED as a salloon car ? lol

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. But don't do it and then moan that life is more expensive now I have x number of children. Your not being penalised for having a large family, just for having a large car. The fact that you need a large car was down to your choice of having a large family.
It's one of the things that you weigh up when deciding whether you can afford to have children.

The 2.2L would need to make THREE trips to get the same number of people to the destination.

Carbon footprint or physical footprint?

Carbon, not sure, but for me to get 7 people from point A to point B would only take 1 journey as opposed to the 3 trips for the two seater, so I'd have a guess and say that my carbon footprint for this task would be much less than the 2.2L

Physical Footprint, the Zafira is based on the MKIV Astra, it's taller but I think the rest of the dimensions are the same, though I suspect it may be a few inch longer.

Why?

My engine is smaller and I make less trips than the 2.2L
[/QUOTE]

You don't make less trips as the 2.2, 2 seater because he aint got 5 kids, and you need to rev the hell out of a 1.6 engine carrying 7 peeps compared to the flash little car with only 2 peeps aboard

Hence your carbon footprint is greater

So if we had a ultra horny Gypsy (for example only) with 50 kids then you would agree to him having a full sized bus with the same VED as a salloon car ? lol

No, because he would be a driving a bus!

There you go again talking about people wanting concessions, where are you getting this from? :)

It's one of the things that you weigh up when deciding whether you can afford to have children.

but when I had the kids m8 I could afford this kinda thing

its when they hike it up to extortionate prices :thumbdown:

You don't make less trips as the 2.2, 2 seater because he aint got 5 kids, and you need to rev the hell out of a 1.6 engine carrying 7 peeps compared to the flash little car with only 2 peeps aboard

Hence your carbon footprint is greater

How do you know how many kids he's got?

I never over rev my engine ether, where are you getting this stuff from?

Lets set a simple task...

7 people want to go from A to B

Which car would be most economical and safer on the enviroment?

You're being a tad bit silly now aren't you mate? :)

Your not being penalised for having a large family, just for having a large car. The fact tha

Is a 1.6L engine really a LARGE CAR, especially when it's powering a MPV?

I've seen fooking Hair Driers with larger motors. :)

Imagine how much more economical you would be if you didn't have so many kids

but when I had the kids m8 I could afford this kinda thing

its when they hike it up to extortionate prices :thumbdown:

I can sympathise with this, most of us our probably much closer to the edge of what we can afford than we like (whether that be having kids or too big mortgage etc).

How do you know how many kids he's got?

I never over rev my engine ether, where are you getting this stuff from?

Lets set a simple task...

7 people want to go from A to B

You're being a tad bit silly now aren't you mate? :)

I know he aint got 5 kids because I know every single person with a 2.2 l car personally !

Seriously though......lol........I know he aint got 5 kids because if he did he would be driving a feckin MPV !! lol

You do not need to rev the nuts of your "Mini Intercity" to have a larger carbon footprint than a 2.2, simply because of weight, the classification has obvioulsy been made via Carbon footprint rather than simply engine size

agreed Steve
this thread is about cars but it affects a whole range of out goings

Is a 1.6L engine really a LARGE CAR, especially when it's powering a MPV?

I've seen fooking Hair Driers with larger motors. :)

No 1.6L isn't a large engine. Will agree with you there, though it is your emmissions band you are being taxed on, is it not, not your engine/car size.

You do not need to rev the nuts of your "Mini Intercity" to have a larger carbon footprint than a 2.2, simply because of weight, the classification has obvioulsy been made via Carbon footprint rather than simply engine size

I'm gonna sue Vauxhall/Opel then ;)

I was tricked into thinking it was economical and produced less pollutants because it had a smaller engine. Fook it, next time I'm gonna buy a fooking two seater sports car, the kids can fook off.

Back