$%^&****%%£ Dentists

gald to hear you feelin a bit better. i know you were living in the wakefield area a whie back, im not too far away in leeds and its the same here. had to walk around with an abscess for around 6 months (luckily it wasnt too painful) before i got a nhs dentist (from Poland) lol.

well that absess feels like history now, but i stuck to my guns and had my first stage of treatment today to have all my teeth removed and get dentures lol.

all of the lower left qaudrant yanked out, and now i know why they are so expensive. no pain no nothing - of course as they said it will probably be sore when the jabs wear off - but hey wtf nothing compared to the pain of an absess that makes ya look like a front runner for the next elephant man remake i'm sure (hope infact lol).

i will keep this thread posted with my exploits lmao

tbc

well that absess feels like history now, but i stuck to my guns and had my first stage of treatment today to have all my teeth removed and get dentures lol.

all of the lower left qaudrant yanked out, and now i know why they are so expensive. no pain no nothing - of course as they said it will probably be sore when the jabs wear off - but hey wtf nothing compared to the pain of an absess that makes ya look like a front runner for the next elephant man remake i'm sure (hope infact lol).

i will keep this thread posted with my exploits lmao

tbc

OMG......Mike stop there hun..........
oh how i had wished that i'd seen this thread earlier.........
you obvisouly haven't been told the after complications that can arise after having all ur teeth out.......
Im not a qualififed dentist.....but i am a qualified dental nurse.....and have done the job for 15 yrs........i've also done temping, which means i've worked with a lot of dentists.....i've also worked for years with a maxillofacial dentist who worked at the hospital repairing peeps jaws/mouths after things like motorbike crashes etc..........
this is gonna be a liitle lengthy post advising u on something the dentist obvisouly hadn't advised u about.

unless u have about only 1-2 left in the mouth,
then go for the F/F.
F/F = Full / Full denture..... P/P = Partial / Partial denture
and obvisouly no matter how many teeth u have left, if they are beyond repair....(diagnosed by dentist, not urself...lol)

search further for a NHS dentist, u don't have to live in the borough to go to a dentist, say in London etc.....

Think how much u would save by travelling an extra 20 miles etc....
there is a set maxium fee for the treatment in one course that u pay....

anyway back to basic's...lol

Have u ever noticed with old people (and i don't mean to sound rude here, but it's the easiest way to explain it) that have like, baggy faces.....around the mouth area the skin appears baggy like and saggy. The reason for this is this....when u have teeth removed the bone shrinks. It usually takes around 3-6 months for it to shrink. Mojority of old people have a F/F denture thats why they have that appearance. Dentures are hard to get along with, some peeps no matter how much they try they just can't....thus affecting everything u have to eat. If u have teeth missing already (i don't mean the quad u just had done lol) then u would be better of having a partial denture and saving the teeth that can be saved. Having teeth present will help the partial denture to stay in more firmly. I don't know what ur excact treatment plan in tails, but the way they used to do it was like to be making the denture in the process of having the teeth extraced. There are usually 3-4 appointments involved when making a denture...1st - inpression 2nd - the moulds come back with blocks of wax on it, this to take how the patient bites 3rd - denture maked of wak with teeth in, so any adjustments that need to meade can be done so 4th - dentures returned completed. Most dentists do this as ur having teeth extracted then on ur finally vist of the last to be extracted, he will note the docket for the laborarty that this will be a F/F so it will return with all teeth on. This way u won't be left with out any teeth. That first denture will cause u nothing but soreness.....your be talking with a lisp...lol ur find it hard at first to eat anything. anyway, after having paid out for the checkup / extractions / dentures etc....u will have to go back in about 3-6 to have a reline to the dentures or properly have a complete full new set made. this costing more money. and during the process of getting used to them u will have to keep going back for what is called 'an ease' it's like wearing a brand new pair of shoes and they rubbing on the heal, so u have to go back to have a little bit taken off each time until they stop rubbing (reline is were they add on more acrylic to make them fit, this being due to where u had teeth out and the bone has shrunk and now the dentures are too big and won't stay in) which is gonna cost u even more money which ever one u have to have. Some patients i have seen would not dare take their teeth out at night....they couldn't go to bed without them in cos of husband/wife seeing them without them..yerah i know their in bed asleep. anyway they had them in for donkeys years and they'd had to be cut out.....lol so thats another thing to think about with the wife...lol all patients are advise to take them out at night to give ur gums a breather. It's a bit like sleeping in ur shoes and being in them 24/7 and never washing them...lol
ok...this dentures might save u money in the long run, but this won't be for years to come.

I don't know how many teeth u have left but if there's not that many missing on the upper or lower, the partial denture u can have is with clasps on them. They are little wires that clasp around one tooth on either side, this helping them better to stay in. Ok i know u've had a bad experience with pain and it's making u feel like this, but hun, do try to think of wot i've said. I have worked with many dentists that will just do what the patients wants and i've also worked with many that simply refused to do this. ur pain free now so try to keep as best u can wot u have left. By going for a regular 6 month check up would avoid most of this. I don't know if u have children but if u do, get them for regualr checkups, it's best to a tiny wee hole in the bud before it gets huge then ends up having to come out......I'm not sure wot area ur in but i think i have an idea...lol so i'm gonna have a scoot about to find ur nearest NHS surgery for u. These dentist charge through the roof because they can, there is no set fee for anything when it comes to private, because they can just charge wot they like. One thing to remember is this....anything the dentist does at the chairside (thats wot we call him doing it himself...like extractions etc....) should be done on the NHS fee, cos its him doing it no one else, and he shouldn't do anything at the chairside better or worse wot ever ur paying. He should do it to the best of his ability...it'a when something that the lab is making ( like, dentures, crowns, inlays etc) depends on the price cos it's not him making it, it's the lab thats doing it and they have to pay the lab. But don't confuse this thinking u have to pay private for anything at the lab cos this is how it works.... when associates, (like most dentist are, these are dentist that work for the principal of the practice) they arte limited to where they can send there work....ie.. the principal will either have his own lab somewhere or use a particular lab and u are contracted to use that lab for any NHS work, however when it comes to private work he can usually send it where he wants, one he knows that make really good private work and is better than standard NHS quality. This however bumps the lab work priceing up so thats also why they charge more for private when it comes to lab work.
I am under treatment my self, but sadly the guy's i used to work for have moved up to wales so i've had to go to a local one near me...anyway i know i need a copuple of fillings and he quoted me £60 for a small occulsal which is a small hole. This being a white filling on my back tooth (white filling on back teeth is not allowed on the nhs cos it cost more and they say that amalgam fillings (the silver type) is much cheaper and strong enough for the job. well, i already have an amalgam filling in the tooth next to it and it is also on the upper which no one is likely to see, so i said to him, it's ok an amalgam one will do, i don't want it done for cosmetic purposes, espically as i have an amalgam filling in the tooth next to it....lol but if i didn't know about this kind of stuff, he would of got away with it, wot pissed me off about it was, he never gave me the option of either. Now i know some peeps want white fillings but if u've already got one amalgam filling in the tooth next it to it and being on the upper it's bloody unlikely i want a private white one is it....lol
Can u see where i'm coming from....although in this case he's charging me more and it's not going to the lab, it's because it's gonna be a composite filling which cost more in material and the nhs won't allow that type of filling on the molars (being as this would be for cosmetic purposes only....)
anyway hun, me fingers are aching now....lol
so i hope u've understood some of that what i have said....if any of it makes sense....lol

F/F dentures should be ur last option.

my lower front teeth will remain lol (seems they are pristine and have never given me trouble), i have a rotated wisdom tooth as well i am told, it is under the gum and growing backwards into my throat lol.

this all started years ago, crossing a busy road when Bam out of nowhere a cab driver hits me i flew across the road and hit a lamp post about 9 feet up in the air, sadly it smashed my jaw and knocked out whole 50% of my teeth. was rushed to hospital and they put it all back together again even refitted the teeth then wired my jaw together (it stayed that way for from memory 3 months) eating ready brek through a straw for that long can really put you off it lmao.
next we have the accident that broke the corner of the front tooth, and according to the dentist loosened the other, then i endured a root canal to hold the bugger in more firmly (that went horribly wrong so they had to pull it in the end) of the the hospital in london to have it pulled out and for a loose tooth they were never able to explain why the person that pulled it out had to fit my head in a restraint and get there knee on my chest to get it out hmmm. they fitted a denture for that (cheap nhs balls) it should of been a bridge imo (they don't do that on the nhs do they lol)
in the end you get sick of being ass'd about in the chair and never knowing if you gonna get sorted properly, i'm not bothered how the wife looks at me with no teeth lol as for eating problems that goes with the territory it can take some months to get used to dentures, and yeah i might talk with a lisp but since more often than not i am shouting in my house i hope it won't be so much of a problem lmao.

tbc

There is always an emergency NHS somewhere - you have to turn up @ 8.30 and wait 3 hours to get seen but in gloucester when I went it was free and professional - ask the council where your emergency dentists are - after being seen there I was bumped on the normal NHS list and got a regular dentist in 4 months

WORK THE SYSTEM!

my lower front teeth will remain lol (seems they are pristine and have never given me trouble), i have a rotated wisdom tooth as well i am told, it is under the gum and growing backwards into my throat lol.

this all started years ago, crossing a busy road when Bam out of nowhere a cab driver hits me i flew across the road and hit a lamp post about 9 feet up in the air, sadly it smashed my jaw and knocked out whole 50% of my teeth. was rushed to hospital and they put it all back together again even refitted the teeth then wired my jaw together (it stayed that way for from memory 3 months) eating ready brek through a straw for that long can really put you off it lmao.
next we have the accident that broke the corner of the front tooth, and according to the dentist loosened the other, then i endured a root canal to hold the bugger in more firmly (that went horribly wrong so they had to pull it in the end) of the the hospital in london to have it pulled out and for a loose tooth they were never able to explain why the person that pulled it out had to fit my head in a restraint and get there knee on my chest to get it out hmmm. they fitted a denture for that (cheap nhs balls) it should of been a bridge imo (they don't do that on the nhs do they lol)
in the end you get sick of being ass'd about in the chair and never knowing if you gonna get sorted properly, i'm not bothered how the wife looks at me with no teeth lol as for eating problems that goes with the territory it can take some months to get used to dentures, and yeah i might talk with a lisp but since more often than not i am shouting in my house i hope it won't be so much of a problem lmao.

tbc

shit u had a rough time then.....

and yeah they do bridges on the NHS...but not if u have loads of gaps cos they see it cheaper to sling a denture in.....good luck hun

nhs dentest in portsmouth lakeroad are taking on new people went in two days ago just to inquire about registering baby and got myself appointment wednesday aint been to one in years dreading it shaking allready lol

that all too often the case these days my friend, it has been so hard to find nhs dentist that many people simply neglect there teeth or suffer servere pain when they get tooth ache. this must be a really big problem for people that are on low incomes, what has this countries dental practice come to when more often than not the decision about the fate of a tooth is often based on the fanancial factors. Is this why we have an NHS lol? i think not, of course collatorally you tend to not go for ages which inevitably means you will need lots of treatment - kind of a catch 22. are there actually more dentists in london or something, cos i don't remember having such trouble finding one there or then again maybe its just the changing times.

tbc

anyway next appointment is 30th may (another friday afternoon skive off work lmao) i think this will be upper left qaudrant gone, really not looking forward to the wonky wisdom tooth being yanked out. my mate had one of these out and they broke his jaw by accident ffs lol.

i take it the tooth is in impacted !!!!

do u want me to post here the procedure of it ???

shit u had a rough time then.....

and yeah they do bridges on the NHS...but not if u have loads of gaps cos they see it cheaper to sling a denture in.....good luck hun

i forgot to mention in this bit ........if u have a tooth out like in the case where u did and u said that they slung a cheap NHS denture in, that really is the procedure...and this is why...

u remember back in my post where i had said about the bone shrinking...imagine if they did a bridge straight after ur extraction. 3 months on, the bridge would literally be a bridge only upside down...lol there would be a big gap under it from the bone shtinkage. they usually give a denture for 3-6 months then after that they will bridge it.......lol
but they wouldn't normally do that at the London Hospital, they would refer u back to ur dentist for the bridge.

i understand the gum is cut and the tooth sectioned into pieces and removed a piece at a time lol, they really are very quick with the yanking out though. my injury is healing nicely now already munching hamburgers hehehehe.

why tina luvvy it might be best if you were a little less graphic with your proceedural explinations ya putting me right off lol, and to think i am actually paying someone to do this to me (masocist springs to mind lol) actually isn't there some kind of illness that compels some people to have unnecessary dental treatments cos they like the drill lol.

tbc

why tina luvvy it might be best if you were a little less graphic with your proceedural explinations ya putting me right off lol,

tbc

i thought i'd better ask u that question before i did explain it....lol
it seems though it has been explained to u, it basically is that but, although as ur no doudbt aware ever tooth is different and varey. u'll will be more sorer and tender though with this one cos as u know it's not a strraight forward extraction. u'll properly require a few sutures aswell. Also the post op instructions that will give u is very important to follow on this.

Anadin with Ibuprofen 400mg are good for dental pain. These are green gel type. they look a bit like cod liver oil tablets...lol

i didn't want u going in there thinking it was gonna be a few pokes and prods and u'll be up and away.....lol

yes i already have 100 400mg ibuprofen tablets lol. but i am more nervous now thanks for that lol

yes i already have 100 400mg ibuprofen tablets lol.

no, i don't mean the ordinary Ibuprofen......it has to be the anadin ones..lol

and i thoiught i'd post a little pic of what ur tooth is like, only this one is going the opposite direction...lol

somebody had PM'd me asking a question, they didn't want to post in here as they didn't want to take other the thread....

being as this is a rare problem, well i don't actually mean rare, but it's not a real common problem, i thought i would post it in here and leaving out the members name as, i thought it would be educational to others, so if the member wants to reply in here, please do so, otherwise just PM me ur reply and i'd be happy to reply through PM's.

hi i`m after a wee ansmer didnt want to jump onto someones post so here goes.
i had 4 crowns fitted when i was 16 now 25 i one broke a day b4 my best mates weddung which i was the best man lol anyway got it glues back in the day of his wedding it stayed in no bother i went to my dentis the following week cause it was the crowns which your original teeth are grinded down youll know better, so this time i was having a post and crown fitted so i ad rout treatmend go i massive infection got over that eventually got crown fitted but now i keep getting a white spot on my gum above my new crown do you possibly know what it is

thanks

how long ago was the treatment carried out?

does the white spot hurt?

Is the spot raised or not?

does it only hurt when eating or drinking certain foods?

Did u return to the surgery and see the dentist about it?

last october does not hurt at all it is raised not been back to the dentist

Go to a dentist to get it checked and xrayed....it could be a number of things, also could be nothing. you said... 'you keep getting' so i'm presuming this is disappearing and then returning, which sounds like it could even be an unlcer.

Sometimes these white spots are caused by the RCT (root canal therapy) which would mean it could still be infected, which could need redoing or could even need an apicectomy.....if u don't get it looked at and it is an infection caused by the RCT, u could end up loosing the tooth altogether.

An apicectomy is the removal of the tip of the root (apex). This minor surgical operation is required if infection persists after root treatment, or if the dentist is unable to seal the root tip with a normal root filling.

I know i've properly scared the shit out of u...lol but u asked and i've given u my opinion....lol There would be no point in me saying about an apicectomy without giving the details of what it is excactly, because it's unlikely u would know what it is i'm talking about. But if it reoccuring without extreme pain, then i would say it's more likely to be an ulcer, but also remember, for it to keep returning then there has to be a cause for it.

hope this has helped.

been told i need a crown next time i go in2 the dentist. are these covered by the nhs? wat colour r they?

no, i don't mean the ordinary Ibuprofen......it has to be the anadin ones..lol

and i thoiught i'd post a little pic of what ur tooth is like, only this one is going the opposite direction...lol

THATS MY TOOTH!!

Ive got one of those that has stayed underground - no pain yet but will leave it untill it bothers me I think

if i won the lottery (again) thatd be the first thing id spend on, new chompers :proud:

been told i need a crown next time i go in2 the dentist. are these covered by the nhs? wat colour r they?

i`m sure they r covered the crown will be made to suit your colour of you other teeth

fook £1800

mate you go india, have a holiday, get some treatment and stil have enough change in your pocket

I went india in November and whilst i was there I had a crown put in, i realigned my two front teeth had it all cleaned all for £45 and they did a brilliant job. Go to india for a week, shouldn't cost you know more then £800, flight & accomodation. I had a route canal treatment done last year over here cost me £300.

Back