Thread: Bios password compaq 6910p??

Inactive User
    DW Cash

Unhappy Bios password compaq 6910p??

I have a laptop (compaq 6910p) which I am trying to reload windows on....but i CANT GET INTO THE BIOS TO CHANGE THE BOOT SEQUENCE!

I have tried removing the cmos battery and main battery (for 10 days!) but still no joy.

please help

DW Cash

Re: Bios password compaq 6910p??

There maybe a hidden jumper somewhere on the motherboard to reset the BIOS password; however, with modern laptops the security systems are now very, very secure and can't be broken with simple steps like removing batteries, etc.

I suggest you contact HP themselves and see if they can help. You may need to provide proof of purchase.

You could also try updating the BIOS (assuming there is an update available); or try the tools for recovering from a failed BIOS update, but check with HP first.

Inactive User
    DW Cash

Yes security is better than the old remove battery and clear cmos trick.....but I just by chance selected network boot....it went through....and on to 'boot from CD/DVD'!!!!!!!
    Hooray....
    would be nice to know a bit more about this security though

Inactive User
    DW Cash

go into this web site had same problem and downloaded demo and ran the cd i made with the software on it and it gets passed the bios password ,please read the instructions on the web site .

Windows Password Recovery, Administrator Password, Reset Password | Passware

DW Cash

got this 1 from anther site:
    remove motherboard, locate bios chip on the back (upper left hand corner) , just below the bios chip there is a capacitor (NEK jE8) use a volt meter to discharge capacitor. Use the lowest setting like 2.5v, connect ground test lead to ground and hold positive lead to the + side of capacitor. Continue to hold untill you have zero voltage, once you have a zero reading, locate the fuse (M15) , on same side of motherboard, just under the docking station, use same process until discharged, Flip motherboard over and locate capacitor just to the left of the cpu, Use same process until zero, flip back over and return to the capacitor next to the bios chip and test, if zero your good to go, if you still have voltage repeat process until zero reading on both capacitor and fuse. Remember all this is to be done with No power from AC, Battery, and CMOS. Discharge process should take about 20 minutes. Tested and proven 100% and much faster than 3 to 10 days. Remember this will void your warranty. Good Luck