The UK's first food waste supermarket opens!

joe516

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The UK's first food waste supermarket has opened in Pudsey, near Leeds, and it looks brilliant.

The warehouse store on the Grangefield Industrial Estate sells food that's been thrown away by supermarkets and other businesses on a "pay as a feel" basis.

This new store has already helped a number of people who have been struggling to feed their children, including Kirsty Rhodes, who was diagnosed with a chronic pain condition, leaving her husband with no other choice than to quit his job and look after their children. This meant the family's household income was reduced to almost nothing
The UK’s first food waste supermarket opens!

This is fantastic idea . You know what gets me food bank trollies in super markets . It's not the food trollies themselves as very rarely leave the store without buying things to put in them . My problem is the companies asda morrisons and the likes . You should be able to buy these items just for the food banks at cost price they shouldn't make money on them . The idea is when you go to pay for the shopping they take what you buy for the food banks at the till point . Means people like myself could donate a lot more

:puke:
The UK's first food waste supermarket has opened in Pudsey, near Leeds, and it looks brilliant.

The warehouse store on the Grangefield Industrial Estate sells food that's been thrown away by supermarkets and other businesses on a "pay as a feel" basis.

This new store has already helped a number of people who have been struggling to feed their children, including Kirsty Rhodes, who was diagnosed with a chronic pain condition, leaving her husband with no other choice than to quit his job and look after their children. This meant the family's household income was reduced to almost nothing
The UK’s first food waste supermarket opens!

3 words, sell by dates. :puke:

Sell by dates aren't the same as use by dates through

As a chef mate I can tell you that sell by dates mean nothing . It's a guide . Use by dates on the other hand need to be adhered to . Though even some of these are bollocks
I rarely throw food out, maybe bread if it has gotten a bit too furry to just pick it off :).

Just go by what you can see or unfortunately smell.

I had a 500g box of mince in the fridge for weeks and before that it had been in the freezer for about a year. I cooked half of it and then decided to cook the other half while I ate the first bit as it was getting that shiny look to it. I couldn't quite decide how to eat it but I was determined not to waste it.

So, I decided to try blending the second half with warm water (expecting a sort of "meat suspension" that I could drink). This does not work. What happens is you end up with sand-like grains of meat at the bottom of the liquid with small beads of fat, as this seems to bounce off the blades rather than getting cut up.

The worst of this is that it brings out the smell of the fat, which is somewhat unwelcome when trying to drink 500ml water with this stuff at the bottom.

However, I did actually drink it. With the aid of the smelling-salts I use before heavy deadlifts. Although this didn't completely remove the retching reflex :).

I rarely throw food out, maybe bread if it has gotten a bit too furry to just pick it off :).

I had a 500g box of mince in the fridge for weeks and before that it had been in the freezer for about a year. I cooked half of it and then decided to cook the other half while I ate the first bit as it was getting that shiny look to it. I couldn't quite decide how to eat it but I was determined not to waste it.

So, I decided to try blending the second half with warm water (expecting a sort of "meat suspension" that I could drink). This does not work. What happens is you end up with sand-like grains of meat at the bottom of the liquid with small beads of fat, as this seems to bounce off the blades rather than getting cut up.

The worst of this is that it brings out the smell of the fat, which is somewhat unwelcome when trying to drink 500ml water with this stuff at the bottom.

However, I did actually drink it. With the aid of the smelling-salts I use before heavy deadlifts. Although this didn't completely remove the retching reflex :).
lol I wouldn't recommend that mate . Meat goes off quickly and can be dangerous . Lol also I've never tried to turn mince into a drink lol

:puke: .....

We watch those programs on TV where Greg Wallace goes round and saves people thousands each year...

We do not understand how this even happens! We shop smart and we eat smart. I see these shows and people who claim to have nothing are spending £200+ a week on food.. They have no concept of freezers and basic planning means they throw away perfectly good food.

We can live off a 'Big Shop' of £200 or less a month with ease. That's for 2 adults and a (nearly) 3 year old. Yes we do spend more than that as we eat out a couple of times a week, but we have never spent £200 a week on a shop!

I reckon that if we got Greg Wallace round on that show he does, he would end up costing us more money each month rather than save.

Maybe I should bring out my own book.... I can knock a meal and a bloody good meal with enough for lunches the next day out of nothing!

3 words, sell by dates. :puke:

You need to do some research miggy m8. As itsme12 has pointed out, 'sell by' dates and 'eat by' dates bear no relation to each other.

Millions of pounds worth of perfectly edible food is wasted each year as a result of this confusion.

Supermarkets don't give a f*ck. It's good for business.

It should be a crime for these companies to throw good out . Morrisons boast that they donate all bread well the are hundreds of other products that this could be done with . People starving in this country is a joke . People starving. Anywhere is a disgrace . Companies should be fined

All a lovely noble idea but just wait until the first food poisoning claim, no win no fee lawyers will have a field day

Plus as @nara points out the supermarkets could not care less and will not want this happening

Last edited by a moderator:
Back