Peripherals Is 60hz enough?

Joebailey58

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is 60hz enough for a gaming monitor I want to play single player games like skyrim and fallout but I don't know if I should get a 4k monitor or a monitor what can run over 60hz I have a budget of £300 so I can't get both.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Depends on your setup. 4K is hella hard to drive and needs min OC 1080 or SLI/Crossfired cards. I've no idea what you're running but I'd be surprised if you can get higher than 60fps in 4k (3840 x 2160) in Fallout 4.

TechArp did SLI & crossifre at 4k for fallout 4 and 2x GTX 1070 got 41-64 av 53 fps and 2x 480 got 43-64 av 54 fps

So 60Hz will be fine, higher freq will appear a bit smoother but really only in FPS shooty games (everyone sees differently, you may not notice so much but I can a bit even in windows window dragging from 60-100ish, i cant tell any difference 100 - 120) and bear in mind the higher freq will cost quite a bit more.

Plus there's the fact that neither of those play nicely over 60Hz anyway

As a starting - not extreme advanced - pc gamer 60hz will be absolutely enough, trust me. As I mentioned before get yourself a 24" Samsung monitor and invest the rest in better components

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Normally 60Hz is a good refresh rate suitable for most of the cases. By the way of course an higher frequency output a more fluid and seamless video flow.

If the budget is low it is better to forget about "high frequency refresh & very high resolution", it is possibile to get good results with ordinary hardware, the difference, by eye, would be noticeable only in certain conditions.

In general if the video has to looked by eye by an human a framerate of 25FPS (25Hz) is already enough, if the video output is produced to be "seen" by other machines high frequency rates can be effectively exploited.

Last edited:
Back