What colour are Polar Bears???

elkopite

Inactive User
Reaction score
What colour are Polar Bears??? the answer is not as clear as you would expect, i was totally shocked/amazed at this fact..

original source Amazing Animal Facts - Polar Bears (with video)

A polar bear’s fur isn’t transparent, but it is translucent. Transparent objects allow light to pass through whereas translucent objects blur the light, Every hair in the polar bear’s fur is a hollow tube, which creates this light-blurring effect. The polar bear’s outer layer of fur is called guard fur and covers a shorter layer of woolly fur in every place on their body except their footpads, eyes, and big nose. These areas are the same color as the rest of its skin which is black. This black skin absorbs heat from the sun and covers four inches of thick, rubbery blubber, which adds to the other layers of snuggly warmth, but a black-skinned bear on a snowy landscape wouldn’t be able to hide from anything! That’s where the translucent fur comes in: by blurring the light, the fur appears white and allows the polar bear to blend into its arctic surroundings.

well the ones i see in the zoo,are a manky yellow colour !!

Depends what colour I have painted them ;)

And on a serious note, obviously polar bears are not white. As there is no colour white in the colour spectrum.

Same as the landscapes that polar bears meander across, are not white. They are different shades of blue and stuff.

Depends what colour I have painted them ;)

And on a serious note, obviously polar bears are not white. As there is no colour white in the colour spectrum.

Same as the landscapes that polar bears meander across, are not white. They are different shades of blue and stuff.

smartarse lol What you are saying totally depends on opinion, it is my understanding that black is not a colour as it absorbs all ligh and dosent reflect any for you to see, white however is as it is reflecting to your eye all of the colours of the light spectrum.

Artists and photographers differ on the answer

smartarse lol What you are saying totally depends on opinion, it is my understanding that black is not a colour as it absorbs all ligh and dosent reflect any for you to see, white however is as it is reflecting to your eye all of the colours of the light spectrum.

Artists and photographers differ on the answer

Black is created by mixing all colours of the spectrum. Therefore it exists. White is a man made colour, and does not exist. And I am talking about the colour spectrum, and not the light spectrum.

Indeed if you mix all the colours of the light spectrum, then you will indeed get white.

Back