The animals went in 2 by 2 hurrah

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
A nursery rhyme that most of us know but where did it originate from??

Did 10 hours pc repair work today so went to my local for a couple or six, lol. The landlord for some unknown reason reckoned The Bachelors had sang it. I thought about having him sectioned and decided instead to have a Chinky on the way home and then look it up.

Apparently there has been a few variations such as the American version "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and one relating to ants.

Does anyone know the answer or is this rhyme so old that the info is no longer available?
By the way, I was not the saddo who brought this up in the pub, my certificate of sanity is still valid till March.

Chookey

A nursery rhyme that most of us know but where did it originate from??

Did 10 hours pc repair work today so went to my local for a couple or six, lol. The landlord for some unknown reason reckoned The Bachelors had sang it. I thought about having him sectioned and decided instead to have a Chinky on the way home and then look it up.

Apparently there has been a few variations such as the American version "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and one relating to ants.

Does anyone know the answer or is this rhyme so old that the info is no longer available?
By the way, I was not the saddo who brought this up in the pub, my certificate of sanity is still valid till March.

Chookey

heyup mate,

drink more, care less....... works for me lol

muskrat

johnnycover.jpg

Here

"The animals went in two by two" song.

lyric:

The animals went in two by two, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in two by two, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in two by two, the elephant and the kangaroo
And they all went into the ark, for to get out of the rain.

The animals went in three by three, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in three by three, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in three by three, the wasp, the ant and the bumble bee

The animals went in four by four, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in four by four, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in four by four, the great hippopotamus stuck in the door

The animals went in five by five, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in five by five, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in five by five, they warmed each other to keep alive

The animals went in six by six, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in six by six, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in six by six, they turned out the monkey because of his tricks

The animals went in seven by seven, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in seven by seven, hurrah! hurrah!
The animals went in seven by seven, the little pig thought he was going to heaven

Original name of this song:

When Johnny Comes Marching Home.

General information:

"When Johnny Marching Home" (sometimes "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again") is a popular song of the American Civil War that expressed people's longing for the return of their friends and relatives who were fighting in the war.

The Irish antiwar song "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye" and "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" share the same melodic material. Based on internal textual references, "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye" apparently dates from the early 1800s, while "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" was first published in 1863.[citation needed]

As with much folk music of this period, many variants in text and music appear as the song is transmitted orally and subject to many external influences. Primacy of one version over another is difficult to prove conclusively because most versions were never written down or published. James Fuld in The Book of World Famous Music (page 640) indicates that some believe the melody is not Irish in origin.

The lyrics to "Johnny Comes Marching Home," written by Irish-American bandleader Patrick Gilmore and published under the pseudonym 'Louis Lambert',[citation needed] effectively reverse those of "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye", in which Johnny returns home blind and crippled, to the woman he abandoned in order to join the army.

Gilmore himself claimed he based the melody on an African-American spiritual; it is possible he may have unconsciously borrowed from "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye" or known a variant with a different text.[1]

The Johnny so longed for in the song is Patrick Gilmore's future brother in-law a Union Light Artillery Captain named John O'Rourke. The song was written by Patrick for his sister Annie Gilmore as she longed for the safe return of her Captain from the Civil War. ("The House that O'Rourke Built" Patti Jo Peterson The Plattsmouth Journal August 30, 2007 page 5, AND "The O'Rourke House" Patti Jo Peterson The Plattsmouth Journal June 15, 2006 page 11)

Other versions:

Quite a few variations on the song, as well as songs set to the same tune but with different lyrics, have appeared since When Johnny Comes Marching Home was popularized. The alleged larcenous tendencies of some Union soldiers in New Orleans were parodied in the Confederate lyrics, "For Bales", to the same tune. A World War I variation appeared in 1914, with the similar title, "When Tommy Comes Marching Home."

The original lyrics as written by Gilmore, are:

When Johnny comes marching home again
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give him a hearty welcome then
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The men will cheer and the boys will shout
The ladies they will all turn out
And we'll all feel gay

When Johnny comes marching home.
The old church bell will peal with joy
Hurrah! Hurrah!
To welcome home our darling boy,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The village lads and lassies say
With roses they will strew the way,
And we'll all feel gay

Get ready for the Jubilee,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
We'll give the hero three times three,
Hurrah! Hurrah!
The laurel wreath is ready now
To place upon his loyal brow
And we'll all feel gay

Let love and friendship on that day,
Hurrah, hurrah!
Their choicest pleasures then display,
Hurrah, hurrah!
And let each one perform some part,
To fill with joy the warrior's heart,
And we'll all feel gay

extraído de: When Johnny Comes Marching Home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3k8H_9SjoM&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3k8H_9SjoM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Sorry you already mentioned this. I am pissed too.

I think its origins are probably lost in the sands of time.

I need to go to bed...

:edit:

Some believe the tune is that of the Irish antiwar song "Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye", presumed to be the original on the basis of oral and textual evidence, although no published version is known to pre-date "When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again" [1]. However, expert James Fuld, author of the standard text on popular music, The Book of World Famous Music, states on page 640 of that volume that Donal O'Sullivan, the Irish authority, has written the Library of Congress that he does not consider the melody of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" as Irish in origin. As stated, no printed music of Irish origin has been discovered that predates American publication in September of 1863 by Henry Tolman in Boston under the above mentioned title. Library of Congress records do show a title "Johnny Fill Up The Bowl" that was published in July of 1863 by John J. Daly that appears to contain the song's melody. Irish traditional anti-war and anti-recruiting song, the basis for the American popular song When Johnny Comes Marching Home. ...

The same tune is used for the children's songs "The Ants Go Marching One By One" and also "The Animals Went in Two by Two". The lyrics, written by Irish-American bandleader Patrick Gilmore, and published under the pseudonym 'Louis Lambert', effectively reverse those of the original, in which Johnny returns home blind and crippled, to the woman he abandoned in order to join the army. The larcenous tendencies of some Union soldiers in New Orleans were parodied in the Confederate lyrics, "For Bales", to the same tune.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones' efforts. The landlord of my local deserves to be shot for starting me on this.
I will take bits' of Mozrs' reply and present them to him as fact.

Chookey

Back