Android downloaded 15GB in one day!

Clinkers

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I've had my Umi Iron for over a year, never had too much trouble with it. About a month ago, it switched off and wouldnt come on again.

After plugging it in, I managed to get it to restart eventually, but it reloaded all the apps when it rebooted. Its done that a couple of times since, but seems to be ok now.

Im in Ireland, using Virgin for broadband and mobile. Today, the wifi at home wouldnt work: no reason: if I knocked the router off and on again, I could connect for a minute but it would drop again. I switched off wifi on the phone and left it on mobile data only.

Just had a look at the phone about 30 minutes ago, and (lucky enough) my data warning switched off mobile data, after Android downloaded over 15GB as a background task.

The phone was warm all evening, maybe this is why. Its fine now, and the wifi is working again (dont know how!) so I took a couple of grabs and attached them here.

Anyone have any clue what is happening? I just checked, there is no update due on the phone, and I've never rooted it or anything. I've still got 2GB space left on the phone, and 30Gb left on the SD card

Screenshot_2017-01-15-22-39-41.pngScreenshot_2017-01-15-22-56-27.png

Cheers!

What is the file or files it has downloaded? Is it in downloads on your phone?

Or hook your phone up to your pc and donwload and run treesize. This way you will be able to see where all the data is and the size of it.

Hi All,

sorry, it's been a bonkers week, haven't had a chance to reply.

I rang Virgin and they said that I hadn't downloaded anything like that to the phone by their records: it had 6GB for the month used, but thats about right as I used it as a hotspot a lot over Christmas.

I restarted the phone and I've got a new SIM just in case: haven't put it in yet as it seems to be ok.

I dunno: looks like the phone was trying to download but couldnt, and thought it downloaded the 15Gb. Anyway, it's ok now, but Ive reduced my limit to 20Gb just in case it happens again!

Back