Wanted ac-dc 5.6 v 2a power supply

goldeneagle1

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone know best place to get the above power supply. Don't matter about connection as I will use the old supply lead. Its for a cheap media player so cheaper the better.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Would the player work on 5V? That would be a lot easier to find. And probably cheaper!

You could build one using a 5V regulator chip and putting a 0.6v drop on the centre pin? @Spectre could probably explain that better than me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could build one using a 5V regulator chip and putting a 0.6v drop on the centre pin? @Spectre could probably explain that better than me :)

He wants 5.6V @Him Her :).

2A is quite a bit for a "wall wart" type so you'll be looking for a switching regulator.

If @goldeneagle1 can post a picture of the board in the media player possibly then we could guess what the onboard regulator is doing and suggest if a higher voltage supply would work.

Or there is always fleaBay.

He wants 5.6V @Him Her :).

2A is quite a bit for a "wall wart" type so you'll be looking for a switching regulator.

If @goldeneagle1 can post a picture of the board in the media player possibly then we could guess what the onboard regulator is doing and suggest if a higher voltage supply would work.

Or there is always fleaBay.

Erm, a 7805/7905 with a 1N4001 between centre pin and ground and a decent heat sink will do that surely?

Erm, a 7805/7905 with a 1N4001 between centre pin and ground and a decent heat sink will do that surely?

7805 is +5V and 7905 is -5V :). He could use something like a 9/12V regulator with an adjustable linear regulator but there will be a reason they have chose 5.6V, probably the overhead for an internal 5V regulator.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the forward current of a 1N4001 is but I think it is 1A. Something like a 1N5402 is larger. The diode would just go in series with the positive to get a ~0.7V drop, putting it between positiva and ground equals zzzt.

F1 (bottom left of photo)seems to have gone with a bang & charred most the other components.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1391978384725.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1391978384725.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 13
Can you get a picture of the media player board? Particularly around the power input.

7805 is +5V and 7905 is -5V :). He could use something like a 9/12V regulator with an adjustable linear regulator but there will be a reason they have chose 5.6V, probably the overhead for an internal 5V regulator.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the forward current of a 1N4001 is but I think it is 1A. Something like a 1N5402 is larger. The diode would just go in series with the positive to get a ~0.7V drop, putting it between positiva and ground equals zzzt.

Oops! Got the pin wrong lol If you put a 1N4001 between pin 1 and ground it raises the reference voltage by 0.6v so the output voltage is regulated at 5.6v rather than 5v. It doesn't need to carry the full output current.

Of course, it could be ARDE?

(Age Related Design Error) lol

The fuse didn't do the charring, look at the transformer!

I prefer repair on principle, but it doesn't look viable. A laptop PSU from Ebay?

Back