Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop Intel® Celeron® 1.86GHz 512MB RAM 60GB Hdd - £299

Devilfish

DW Regular
Reaction score
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40-12S Laptop Intel® Celeron® M processor 440 1.86GHz 512MB 60GB DVD-SM 15.4" WXGA TFT Windows® Vista® Home Basic Edition

P0130388_C0000010_P0000000.jpg

• Product Description - Toshiba Satellite Pro L40-12S - Celeron M 440 1.86 GHz - 15.4" TFT
  • Dimensions (WxDxH) - 36.5 cm x 27 cm x 3.7 cm
  • Weight - 2.7 kg
  • Localisation - United Kingdom
  • System Type - Notebook
  • Built-in Devices - Stereo speakers, wireless LAN aerial
  • Processor - Intel Celeron M 440 / 1.86 GHz
  • Cache Memory - 1 MB - L2 Cache
  • RAM - 512 MB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz
  • Hard Drive - 60 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
  • Optical Storage - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
  • Display - 15.4" TFT active matrix 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) - 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
  • Graphics Controller - Intel GMA 900
  • Audio Output - Sound cardTelecomFax / modem - 56 Kbps
  • Networking - Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g
  • Input Device - Keyboard, touchpad, multimedia control panel
  • Power - AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
  • Battery - Lithium Ion
  • Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
  • Manufacturer Warranty - 1 year warranty

is it good for the money
would my young lad beable to play games on it ie counter strike
cheers ratty

I wouldn't have said the spec was high enough to play games.

It's got shared graphics which means about 128MB of the 512MB RAM will be used for graphics. That's not alot of graphics ram and it doesn't leave a lot of ram for normal use.

Maybe if you upgraded to 1GB RAM but the graphics wouldn't be great.

crikey, that looks like a machine that will take forever to open the web browser...
vista is a pig, i wouldn't consider it with under 2gb of ram.. and as devilfish says the graphics cards is v.low end

not sure about ye over there in the uk.. but Dell seem to be the best value per buck over here, throw another 100 on that price and you'll have a core2duo, 2gb ram and a card with some onboard mem and 3d capibility..... now if they'd only seel more XP machines and had more ports it would be sweet

crikey, that looks like a machine that will take forever to open the web browser...
vista is a pig, i wouldn't consider it with under 2gb of ram.. and as devilfish says the graphics cards is v.low end

not sure about ye over there in the uk.. but Dell seem to be the best value per buck over here, throw another 100 on that price and you'll have a core2duo, 2gb ram and a card with some onboard mem and 3d capibility..... now if they'd only seel more XP machines and had more ports it would be sweet

its only windows vista basic m8 it will run it no problems. that said i personaly think 1gb is minimum ram needed nowadays. but for the price you are getting a nice laptop for your money.

Its clear to see you've got your info from Dell. remember looking at their laptops too and saw the recommended 2Gb of Ram for Vista, i personally think this is just a ploy to get you to upgrade and get them extra money!

the guy i spoke to at pcworld said ms recommend at least 1gb ram for vista, especially if you are running an anti virus program.

the guy i spoke to at pcworld said ms recommend at least 1gb ram for vista, especially if you are running an anti virus program.

Great laptop, think I could pull the same stunt by simply saying I'm aware of a friend who bought this model for 400 here?

dont see why not! no harm if they say no, just go to another pc world and try again!
i first went to the st helens branch and they wouldnt even give me a discount on a shop soiled laptop. garston branch in liverpool i didnt even need to ask. i did take a leaflet from currys with another laptop on it and asked him if he had anything similar for around the same price, and although they are the same group they didnt have the one on the leaflet. told me he wasnt going to be beaten by currys and offered me that one.
dont go to the young assistants they dont seem interested, find someone older with a bit of authority.

If you buy one make sure you take the insurance out or learn to take it apart to clean the vents inside. I bought a Toshiba satellite a year and a half ago in the 1st year it went back 6 times because it kept over heating and shutting down. I got sick of sending it back in the end and took it apart to see what i could do and its a doddle to strip and clean now i do it myself all the time.

Back