Hardware Tablet vs Netbook

Him Her

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Come New Year a new device will have to be had. A severe clear-out ditched a server (web and mail moved into the cloud), desktop to go soon so it's what to buy?

Currently have a Dell Mini 9 on Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS). It's been upgraded a couple of time as it shipped with Ubuntu 8 but it's a bit long in the tooth now. I like it because it has some USB ports and an SD reader plus the flexibility of a full OS. Battery life is crap though.

I also have an iPad 2 which has GREAT battery life but no fecking ports lol

In-depth reviews seem few and far between and a little vague! Maybe a thread on here discussing what you can DO with the devices might be useful? Maybe there already is one and I aint found it yet?

I just want amazing power, super graphics, no limits and under a £100 - is that too much to ask?

Let us know if You find something HH, I could with replacing my dino system as well.

Okay, the last sentence was very much tongue in cheek lol

I do like the full OS bit as I can do 'office' (i.e. spreadsheet, word-processing etc.) Maybe I'll have to get two? A tablet for surfing/e-book/etc. and another Linux net-book?

I'll have to look into iPad connection extras - I like the idea of plugging into the TV and watching stuff online - once the fibre arrives :)

Okay, the last sentence was very much tongue in cheek lol

I do like the full OS bit as I can do 'office' (i.e. spreadsheet, word-processing etc.) Maybe I'll have to get two? A tablet for surfing/e-book/etc. and another Linux net-book?

I'll have to look into iPad connection extras - I like the idea of plugging into the TV and watching stuff online - once the fibre arrives :)

I rarely use my laptop now I have an iPad. And the new mini looks good, all the benifits of a top end iPad and a good size for e-book reading.

Back