PS JailBreak PS3 ModChip Legal in Spain, Sony to Pay Damages

Highlander

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Today Spanish site NicaGamerz.com (linked above) reports that the PS JailBreak PS3 ModChip is now legal in Spain, and that Sony must pay damages to the defendant.

The Barcelona court trial verdict apparently hinged on Sony's removal of OtherOS functionality.

To quote, roughly translated: "In Spain there was a precedent because any PSJailbreak product is legal for sales and advertising.

According to court No 8 Mercantil de Barcelona, on 07 December two thousand and ten, was officially PS legalization of Jailbreak in any store in Spain, too, that Sony will have to pay all the costs to the stores selling this product.

With the departure of PSJailbreak, Sony tried everything possible to prevent the sale in Spain of products that create the bootable Playstation 3 video games downloaded over the Internet or using backups for loading the games, following complaints produced by Sony, shops that were affected did not hesitate to attack Sony resorting to lawsuits.

As a conclusion all the devices that were previously illegal and can upload copies of video games has been legal in Spain.

One of the reasons that the trial was based on is that legalizing PSJailbreak SONY remove the GNU / Linux where you claim Sony which sells a console with a number of features that were later removed, also talks about the user can do whatever you want with your console purchased allowing you to enter including the "guts" of the console with full right and one's Playstation 3 is not only used exclusively to play original games from Sony.

SONY end away I lost a very important trial for them, to combat piracy, now must pay the damages that have occurred precautionary measures to shops hurt by Sony's legal action."

source: gogsoftware.com

I knew that response was coming as soon as I read the title of the thread lol

Makes you wonder though, if it's legal in Spain why is it not legal in other countries throughout the world. Supposedly we can't have 1 rule for one....mind you that's bs anyway, illegal or not doesn't stop people so doesn't need to be legal.

because dear sir, we are from the UK and the only thing we do is bend over and let everyone shaft us!!!

:)

Back