Problems Upgradeing To Xp

FATBOY

Member ++
Reaction score
i have been sent a disc with windows XP from a very kind user of the hub. but when i went to install the XP software it crashes. i load it up and it gets to the end of the green bar when its PREPARING INSTALL 51 minutes to go. after a few minutes when its reached 51 minutes left to go the disc stops spinning and the little red h/d light stops flashing! ive left it for an hour and it just stays on 51 minutes left to go! its as if the pc has frozen??? any help please!!!!

cheers

allroad said:
you need to make sure that you format the hard drive to be NTFS NOT FAT 32 XP will only install on an NTFS hard drive

XP can be installed on a FAT32 drive...the benefits that gives you is that if you have a duel boot system you non xp/2000 os can see the files.

The advantage of NTFS is that you have better file security, as you can add extra encryption. Also NTFS is slightly faster than FAT expecially on bigger Hard drives as FAT slows down the bigger the drive :)

MH

well i seem to be the exeption here as i have windows xp pro and it is useing fat 32system,what i had to do was download sp1-6 floppies,then format drive to start with a clead drive,then boot up with floppy no1 in drive ,and then just follow instructions,you then have the option of ntfs or fat 32,there thars my twopenerth worth
bonehead

bonehead said:
well i seem to be the exeption here as i have windows xp pro and it is useing fat 32system,what i had to do was download sp1-6 floppies,then format drive to start with a clead drive,then boot up with floppy no1 in drive ,and then just follow instructions,you then have the option of ntfs or fat 32,there thars my twopenerth worth
bonehead

treat your floppy drive with loads of TLC :)

cheers peeps!!! XP is now up and running! once again cheers daing and cheers allroad ! you guys have been really helpful!!!!

well done guys getting fatboy going just seen posts this am,

fatboy have u installed the blue tooth stuff that started all this ?

hopefully u will have seen the last of the problems u where having with winME.

Just a bit more info on NTFS

NTFS/FAT32 another benifit of using NTFS is that the directory structure is very different (not seen by user)it doesent use the tree system that FAT/FAT32 uses so there is a much reduced chance of having lost files/cross linked files etc that we got with FAT/FAT32. (when u ran scandisk all those lost chains and file00000.chk)

When u move or copy file with NTFS on the same drive ie move to another folder windows changes the entries in the index the file stays in the same place. with FAT/FAT32 the file moves to another place on the disk. So u can see 1 way that NTFS is much quicker.

not got a floppy drive on my computer don't need it got xp pro sp1 on my machine will work with ntfs or fat32 just go into bios and change to boot from cd first restart when it asks do you want to boot from cd just press a key then you just install or format or partition..

Not got a floppy drive!but there so usefull as my mate found out,his daughter uses it to store credit cards in.......lol amongst other things

Back