Poxy do-gooding BPI and the courts!!!! More pirate site blocks

VectorZ

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
After finally getting into a decent routine using torrents after the demise of newsgroups, the bastards are now hitting KT and H33T!!! More disruptions to my US tv schedule!!!!

:Angryfire :Angryfire :Angryfire :Angryfire :Angryfire :Angryfire

Court orders UK ISPs to block more piracy sites

The High Court has ordered the UK's major internet service providers to block three websites offering links to pirated material.

The ISPs must stop their users from accessing Kickass Torrents, H33T and Fenopy.

Music industry group the British Phonographic Industry (BPI) said the sites infringed copyright on a "significant scale".

Opponents have argued that blocking sites in this way was ineffective.

The block follows a similar ruling last year involving The Pirate Bay, a much larger site founded in Sweden.

Data seen by the BBC suggested that the blocking of The Pirate Bay had only had a short-term effect on the level of pirate activity online - with levels of peer-to-peer sharing returning to normal soon after.

However, a recent report from market research firm NPD suggested that there had been a large reduction in the number of users illegally downloading music, with fans instead favouring legal options like streaming site Spotify.

Speaking of Thursday's decision, BPI chief executive Geoff Taylor said: "The growth of digital music in the UK is held back by a raft of illegal businesses commercially exploiting music online without permission.

"Blocking illegal sites helps ensure that the legal digital market can grow and labels can continue to sign and develop new talent."

Loz Kaye, the leader of Pirate Party UK, which had offered UK users a workaround for the ban on The Pirate Bay, said the BPI was "out of control".

"The British music industry has nothing positive to show from their site blocks and personal legal threats," he said.

"Looking at sales figures from 2012, you can't draw the conclusion that stopping access to the Pirate Bay did anything to help artists.

"The UK has now handed the power over what we see on the internet to corporate lobbyists."

BBC

Blocking sites is useless people can easily get around this by using Tor for example.

they'll know they will never be able to stop it completely BUT if they can cut out 75% of the people easily, they'll do it.

it'll only be the determinded, more techy minded that can get past it - cuts out the every day joe bloggs downloader who doesn't fully understand it.

they'll know they will never be able to stop it completely BUT if they can cut out 75% of the people easily, they'll do it.

it'll only be the determinded, more techy minded that can get past it - cuts out the every day joe bloggs downloader who doesn't fully understand it.

Indeed, you are not going to stop the hard core pirate, but simple changes like blocking a site can have a big hit on casual piracy.

Same as when newzbin and nzbmatrix when down. Stopped a lot of casual pirates.

Just add 'unblock.info' to the end of the likes of kickass, h33t and fenopy for suitable proxies ;)

Yep I use it now and again, a bit slower but at least you get to what you want.

Re-installed a while ago and was wondering if you know 'Cleopatra' doesn't get installed now?

It was bundled originally with Tor, anyone tried AdvOR?

Isohunt was unavailable for a while yesterday, just might have been tooooo busy to get on!

Anyway have fun surfing, Ian.

After finally getting into a decent routine using torrents after the demise of newsgroups

What demise is that?
I've been using it for years and yet to witness any demise. Totally confused!!

Not you mate. No worries!

It was VectorZ who stated that there was a demise in newsgroups. Maybe at his end but not at mine and 1000's of others.
Seems to be the Astraweb kiddies who didn't know where to go when the sub went shit.

It happens when things change mate,whether its this or some other tech,some people are better or more knowledgeable and can easily move with the flow,

And we try help where we can,just look at his post were he helped restore an old photo,fecked if I could have done that :)

It happens when things change mate,whether its this or some other tech,some people are better or more knowledgeable and can easily move with the flow,

Got nothing to do with either to be fair.

You can't state that newsgroups are dead because the OP is stupid. All people had to do was have a bit of a look around for an alternative provider. I went with a european based server and get more now than I could with Astraweb.

Got nothing to do with either to be fair.

You can't state that newsgroups are dead because the OP is stupid. All people had to do was have a bit of a look around for an alternative provider. I went with a european based server and get more now than I could with Astraweb.

And we can't be all knowing like you mate and calling someone stupid over a trivial thing like the OP did won't help you on here,

My post was intended to show that we are all not experts at everything,if you can't see that its your bad luck.

And we can't be all knowing like you mate and calling someone stupid over a trivial thing like the OP did won't help you on here,

My post was intended to show that we are all not experts at everything,if you can't see that its your bad luck.

But that argument works both ways. Fair enough that some people are stupid but you can't say that a whole way of file sharing is dead because of that stupid person.
To quote your answer, if you're not an expert then why say newsgroups are finished.
Newsgroups aren't, and never have been, in demise.

But that argument works both ways. Fair enough that some people are stupid but you can't say that a whole way of file sharing is dead because of that stupid person.
To quote your answer, if you're not an expert then why say newsgroups are finished.
Newsgroups aren't, and never have been, in demise.

Why the insistence that people are stupid just because they are not as smart as you think you are?

People say stupid stuff,doesn't mean they are stupid :)

LMFAO What a coont :D I've been using newsgroups for about 8 years and haven't used Astraweb in over 5. But clearly I'm some kind of fooktard and seeing as you've signed up just to have a pop... go on then, fill ya boots but please remember to turn the light off on the way out..... I don't think I can figure the switch out ;)

6 posts and looking for a ban already, lol

newsgroups are fine the way they are. Like all forms of piracy they got too popular for their own good and they got reigned in. The providers that are small fish don't get harnessed by DMCA notices at the moment but can't provide the same level of service as the big boys. You take your pick or do as most heavy downloaders do and use one of the big providers who provide unlimited accounts for the bulk of downloads and use one of the smaller providers for fills.

Back