new router

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - i was getting really pissed off with my belkin N1 wireless router kept dropping connection when downloading...just bought this one TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories is there anything i need to do to this such as change fw on it etc...basically all i want it is for wireless around the house , ps3 connected to it and downloading from newsgroups...etc...ive read it supports DD-WRT...what ever that is lol...any help and advice would be great before i hook it up...

If you can then I'd stick with the firmware that comes with it, DD-WRT and Tomato is good but there has been a few flaws found with DD-WRT, like the throughput when maxing it out on your WAN and the LAN.

How ever I used DD-WRT for ages on an old b/g Linksys and it worked for years (until I found out that it could be flawed with loopholes)

It does open the router up for you to be able to do loads more with it.

So for example I have just set up "Tomato" and it's all working fine, I have a shared network drive on my network now and also an SSH VPN connection set up from work to home (so they can't see what I'm browsing) Tomato also comes with a bittorrent application (so you can leave your downlaods running on the router rather than having a PC conencted) also an FTP client so along with "No-IP" I can now have an FTP server on the LAN and the WAN.

All depends on what you'd like to do with it and how much "Tinkering" you'd like to do and how much time you spend in your config page and what you'd like to do with it.

There's lots of different versions of DDWRT and Tomato and all depends on what "options" you want, bittorrent etc.

Give me a shout if you need any more help.

Dibbs.

here's a little look of my "Tomato" page as you can see billions of options down the left hand side, this version that I have on isn't the "torrent" "samba" version it's just the standard version with VPN etc on it.

05-06-201210-56-14.jpg

Last edited:
cheers mate... think ill stick to the stock firmware as i seen a video on youtube, and like the poster said most people ie 90% will be using the stock firmware for the day to day stuff they do like me..lol..im not gonna do the stuff youre doing...

Not a problem, there's a few more screen shots here from (DD-WRT)

here

If you are going to ever go to a CFW then dd-wrt is good, but there was also mention of the through put not standing up to scratch, here's a link to that.....(this might not be for all routers that work with dd-wrt, just what I found with mine)

review here

Then along with being told and reading up on the "backdoors" that may have been implemented into some dd-wrt it was better (in my eyes) to stay away from it.

Tomato is really a good CFW for a router.

have fun.

here's some one who found some dodgy spyware out on a router running dd-wrt.

I bought a used WNR3500L N300 (a version-1) used recently. I spent most of today trying to upgrade it in every possible way short of hardware tinkering with no luck. Finally I thought to do a search on the exact firmware the thing was running, which ended in "SK".Turns out "SK" stands for "SamKnows", some sort of monitoring scheme I want no part of.If this is your firmware and you try to upgrade with almost anything, the upgrade fails with this message:"Firmware upgrade failed. Please check your file.

"
Trying with tftp just results in timeouts.There is a way to rescue your router from SamKnows:http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/25741/DD-WRT-for-SamKnows-WNR3500L-v24-K2.6-svn14289-Mini-CHK/It would have been nice, really nice, if the SamKnows people could have changed the error message to read something like "Your file is perfectly valid, but it isn't infected with our weird spyware, so you are SOL."

But then, that would lead to less people just giving up and running the router with whatever version of SK firmware they got it with.
Nice.

Last edited:
Back