New drill

Bk456

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK, Ive always had decent drills but never one Ive been happy with. Ive always had SDS aswell. I had a huge 36v cordless bosch which was excellent back when bosch actually made great drills, it was really heavy though...

My current drill is 110v flex sds corded...so light but having to lug about a huge yellow transformer is annoying...

Im usually a sucker for the brand names but I've seen this drill which looks decent,

Erbauer ERF395COM 24V 2.0Ah Ni-Cd Cordless Combi Drill | Cordless Combi Drills | Screwfix.com

Only thing holding me back is its not SDS, having never used a non ads drill, will i notice any difference. Also I've loads of ads drill bits, will they still fit this drill or can you get sds chucks for these drills...

I have some Erbauer kit and I'm happy with it (jigsaw & circular saw). Both cordless. As @manic01 suggests, NiCd is an issue unless you hammer the crap out of it daily. You could probably put an SDS chuck on but TBH if it doesn't have one out of the box it's probably not 'chap enough'.

I sometimes put SDS bits in standard chucks and, with a bit of care, it mostly works. Not convinced about cordless SDS so I keep two corded SDS drills for serious stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are used to SDS, I think you'll find a normal hammer drill doesn't cut the mustard. Or concrete, bricks or much else for that matter. And Ni-Cad is pretty much old hat these days too, I'm surprised anyone is still marketing them.
I have a DeWalt 18V SDS cordless- originally came with 2 Ni-Cads, but I've been buying Chinese NiMH batteries for it & they are far better, lighter and cheaper. Drill is almost 10 years old, used most of it life installing large satellite dishes (10 or 12mm holes in bricks or solid cocncrete). Apart from driling the holes, I also use it to spin up the rag-bolts, the clutch kicks in before it undoes my wrist!
Good points- never let me down, despite its hard life and having fallen from uncomfortable heights on more than one occasion: Batteries don't cost a fortune: not too heavy: Biggest bonus- can charge the batteries between jobs in the van off a 12V cig lighter socket!
I open the drill up once a year to drop some oil into the motor bearings & remove dust. It's easy to take apart & re-assemble.

Up until a couple of months ago I worked for one of biggest tool hire companies in the uk and they have 2 decents sds drills, there was bosch 18v with li-on, sds but the best one was the hilti 36v, the model was te6-a36 and its a monster. Maybe have a read up but it will cost big bucks.

Up until a couple of months ago I worked for one of biggest tool hire companies in the uk and they have 2 decents sds drills, there was bosch 18v with li-on, sds but the best one was the hilti 36v, the model was te6-a36 and its a monster. Maybe have a read up but it will cost big bucks.

That being why I stuck with cordless for general purpose and corded for 'kick-ass' ;)

Not heavy at all monster refered to the price. If one of the contractors came into our shop and I knew the discount they got I certainley sent them out the door with one of those and never did everyone ever come back without a smile on there faces at ow easy it made there jobs. If I was the buy a 110v drill and I could afford one i would buy the hilti te30c (te16c old version) with chipping action its a great little drill.

Would. Certainly like an all round drill but think I'm going to have stick with my 110v flex sds for heavy duty and get a cordless for basic jobs..

do you guys rate this erbauer..?

Stanley fat max for about £85 quid plus same makers as dewalt and the has more features than the 150 ish dewalt
has 2x 1.5 ah battery's and the dewalt has 2 x 1.3 ah
the dewalt had 17 torque setting and the fat max has 22 also comes with 3 year warranty over the dewalt
not for heavy stuff but will handle most

I looked at both the stanely fatmax at £99 in homebase and also dewalts in B & Q, after getting hold of both i chose the dewalt xr with one 1.3a/h lithon battery. Still happy with it afer 3 months.

homebase have 15% off everything quiet often so can be had for 85 the fat max had li battery also and has a little more power

Back