Build advice New Computer

telsave

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi hope someone can take up this challenge please.

I have decided to get my son Dutcho to build me a new computer, and hope someone can guide me as to what is required parts wise to do this. Let me explain my situation first.

Although I am retired, yes I am really that old, my computer has to be my best friend. It is seldom switched off. I used to work for a living now i just work!!!

Recently I built and managed a large website for a European charity as well as tinkering with sites of my own. Now I have accepted the role of voluntary registrar to a Child and Adolescent Therapies College. Part of that role is to build an interactive membership register online where the public can search to find a psychotherapist in their area. This of course means building another website as I am going to put the register online I may as well build pages for the technical side of the College so other therapists can access pages which will be hidden behind passwords from the general public.

What I am saying is that the computer needs to be a workhorse.

Presently my old computer has:
AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor
4GB RAM Installed
64 bit operating system X64 based processor
ATI Radeon Graphics HD 4300/4500 Series
Hard Drives
STA 500
WDC WD 2500
WDC WD5000
TSST Corp CDDVDV SH-S223B ATA Disk Drive
Qualcomm Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-52

Don't know if you need all this. However I want to built a very robust high powered unit that will enable me to have a number of tags and programmes open at one time as I jump from one another. For example when writing an article I may have a number of sample articles for research (I do not plagerize!!!) I use Market Samurai for my keyword research; Web Content Studio to develop articles; Hemingway to check readability and wordpress for the actual web design. I will also have dreamweaver and Photoshop open at the same time for coding and illustrations. Plus I keep checking how Newcastle are getting on min the transfer market :)

So all in all I am demanding of this piece of kit in front of me. This one is like me getting old and very slow, to the point that there are times when throwing out of the window is not such a bad idea.

If anyone can help by detailing the components I would need to match my demands I would be very grateful.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Back