need help with connecting router to laptop out of situation

jaymar14

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi,

im after some help or ideally a rough steps guide on how i might be able to connect a laptop wirelessly to a router, out of situation
- by that i mean im thinking of suggesting to my elderly friends that i take there router and laptop to set them up together and give it all back to them to plug and play, hopefully... (they are having trouble connecting it wirelessly and ive tried the laptop and know thats fine, pretty sure its them...)
so im thinking this must be possible to connect the two, put the passwords etc into it? im after abit of reassurance on that though, i dont yet know anything more than the router is talktalk, so im after a rough few steps on how i can do that if possible?

thanks

hi,

im after some help or ideally a rough steps guide on how i might be able to connect a laptop wirelessly to a router, out of situation
- by that i mean im thinking of suggesting to my elderly friends that i take there router and laptop to set them up together and give it all back to them to plug and play, hopefully... (they are having trouble connecting it wirelessly and ive tried the laptop and know thats fine, pretty sure its them...)
so im thinking this must be possible to connect the two, put the passwords etc into it? im after abit of reassurance on that though, i dont yet know anything more than the router is talktalk, so im after a rough few steps on how i can do that if possible?

thanks

You mean take the laptop and router away to set it up? You should be able to do that and if it's working then if you ping the router you should get a response.

Whynwould you not just go round to set it up? I would use WEP at least to start off with as some systems have a problem with WPK.

You mean take the laptop and router away to set it up? You should be able to do that and if it's working then if you ping the router you should get a response.

Whynwould you not just go round to set it up? I would use WEP at least to start off with as some systems have a problem with WPK.

Okay thanks for your reply, I shall use WEP it seems thats agreed by a few people i have spoken with actually. I just wasn't sure whether i was missing something, yet it seems simple enough in principle! I dont really want go round, ill have them speaking to me non stop and filling me up with far too many cups of tea and biscuits for my liking lol

thanks for your help

...I dont really want go round...
How are you going to get the laptop and router otherwise? :confused:
...ill have them speaking to me non stop and filling me up with far too many cups of tea and biscuits for my liking lol
If it's just a case of setting up the wireless network, it's a 30 second job...

How are you going to get the laptop and router otherwise? :confused:
If it's just a case of setting up the wireless network, it's a 30 second job...

I work with the chap so he'll bring it into work, but in that case I might just go round in that case if its just simply plugging it in and connecting, i imagined it might have to be connected to its own line to work properly but i guess its only the connection between the two that is relevant, im imagining it to be more complicated by the looks of it!

All you need do is open the wireless control settings from the notification area in the bottom right. Select the correct SSID and input the password.

Most ISPs send out their routers with the highest wireless security switched on by default.

If you get there and it's working fine, ask if they're trying to use the laptop in a loft conversion/down the bottom of the garden, with the router in the front room. Alternatively have a quick wander round the house with the laptop in hand to see if it's problem with signal degradation.

went round in the end and set it up no problem, it connected straight up so god knows what they were doing! signals good all round the house but then they live in a bungalow...
cheers for your help

Back