michael jackson

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Michael Jackson has today said he feels "devastated and betrayed" by journalist Martin Bashir's portrayal of him in an ITV1 special.

Living With Michael Jackson, which recounts the 8 months Bashir and his team spent with the pop star, drew ratings of more than 15 million to the network when it went out earlier this week.

In the documentary, getting its first airing in the US tonight, Jackson admitted to sleeping in the same bed with young boys, as well as denying that he had had more than two plastic surgery operations to his face.

Following the programme's transmission, Jackson has been slated in the UK press.

"I trusted Martin Bashir to come into my life and that of my family because I wanted the truth to be told," said Jackson today through a spokesman. "Martin Bashir persuaded me to trust him that his would be an honest and fair portrayal of my life and told me that he was 'the man that turned Diana's life around'. I am surprised that a professional journalist would compromise his integrity by deceiving me in this way.

"Today I feel more betrayed than perhaps ever before; that someone, who had got to know my children, my staff and me, whom I let into my heart and told the truth, could then sacrifice the trust I placed in him and produce this terrible and unfair programme. Everyone who knows me will know the truth which is that my children come first in my life and that I would never harm any child.

"I also want to thank my fans around the world for the overwhelming number of messages of support that I have received, particularly from Great Britain, where people have e-mailed me and said how appalled they were by the Bashir film. Their love and support has touched me greatly."

Granada, meanwhile, said it was standing behind Bashir.

"There has been no distortion, misrepresentation or breach of trust. Martin Bashir agreed with Michael that we'd make an honest film about his life and we've fulfilled that promise," said a statement from the company. "We stand by our programme. It is a truthful, open and intimate portrayal of many aspects of Michael Jackson's extraordinary life.

"Michael is a controversial figure with many critics. It's not surprising that a film about him, which is open and revealing, draws some hostile reaction and comment about him. It's regrettable that Michael should feel devastated as a result of that, but perhaps inevitable."

update

Superstar Michael Jackson will not face a new probe into allegations of child abuse despite TV documentary admissions that he shares his bedroom with children.A US child protection charity had called for the singer to be investigated after he told interviewer Martin Bashir that youngsters sleep over with him at his Neverland ranch.

But Santa Barbara County District Attorney Thomas Sneddon said that under Californian law, merely sleeping with a child without "affirmative, offensive conduct" was not a criminal offence.

Police would require co-operation from a victim before any charges could be brought, he said.

"Sleeping in bed with a kid is not a crime that I know of," he said.

Mr Sneddon said a high-profile 1993 investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct against the singer involving a 13-year-old boy remained "open, but inactive."

Jackson was never charged, but later reached a multi-million-dollar out-of-court settlement with the boy's family, which he would not discuss Mr with Bashir because of a confidentiality agreement.

The 44-year-old singer said in the documentary, Life With Michael Jackson, that he had slept in a bed with "many children", including actor Macaulay Culkin and his brother Kieran.

Jackson has made an official complaint to TV watchdogs about the documentary, which he says "utterly betrayed" him.

His lawyers said the programme contained "clear innuendo" that the singer is guilty of inappropriate behaviour with children.

Programme-maker Granada Television stood by Mr Bashir and insisted the programme was "truthful and open".

Back