Making a dodgy LAN

W

webb

Hello,
Basically, being a cheap bar-stud I wanna make a very basic LAN using win 95/98 and either a serial or parallel connection. Just 2pcs for playing quake/hl etc. But a windows lan not just a game linkup. Any ideas? :confused:

hi its real cheap to have 2 simple bnc network adaptors they should be about 5 pound each

thenyou could run a small network about 10mbits which would be fine 4 quake and hl

you also need 2 terminators which is basicly a 50ohm resisitor basicly it should cost you no more than 15 pounds depending on the cost of terminators (not sure :()

yup a BNC cabled network is the cheapest and ample for gaming ..but if you really want a serial you need crossovers or laplink cables to swap the tx & rx lines over..you can get ready made cables at computer fairs for this purpose..

sorry i cant be of more help as ive not used them for years i play my games over a cat5 lan

i will be to very shortly (cat5 lan)

as soon as i got cash for hub :) because everything else is ready :)

and to be honest it is still very cheap to have a 10/100 mbits home lan the most expensive thing is the hub and thats only 50 quid :)

the pci cards are only 10 quid and the cable cost me 10 quid 30 metres (sorry just refreshed this laptop and cannot find the pound sign lol -- must have it set up for american)

lucky for me i have a bt croneing tool so i dont even need a crimping tool just run the bare wires into the rj45 box and i will buy some 1 meter cables with plugs on :)

but back to your question :) you should go for a bnc network peer to peer it's so cheap

Back