Is it possible to upgrade ????

CoolHandLuke

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade and get a decent cpu cooling fan for
a HP pavillion G6-1189sa laptop mine has just kicked the bucked and completely stopped working, the pc overheated and cut out.

I now get an error on start up "The system has detected that a cooling fan is not operating correctly.

Continued operation is not recommended and may cause unpredictable behavior that could result in random shutdown, data loss or possible system damage. The system will shut down in 15 seconds. To prevent shutdown and continue operation, press the Enter key now.

System Fan (90B)

Now Ive blasted the fan with a air can but it still wont start, so looks like its capoot, If I have to strip the full lappy to change the fan I may as well try to find a silent one or copper cooler etc etc

Thing is I cant seem to find an exact match and I am unsure if the ones I have been looking at will fit.

Also is there a way to do a hard reset on the lappy ? HP support sucks and cant find any help on there site.

Thanks for any input on this I am a bit dubious what to do. All I know is that the HP standard fan was noisey as hell and did not keep the heat down maybe it was faulty from day one ??

The lappy is less then 2 years old.

There are no aftermarket fans for laptops, HP or otherwise, in the way that you describe - there are just too many different variants.

If the laptop isn't too old, it's usually possible to pick up a factory replacement (such as the one Abu has linked too) or one pulled working from an other wise damaged laptop.

I'd suggest a couple of copper shims (one for CPU, one for GPU) and repasting with MX-4 or Arctic Silver V at the same time as replacing the fan.

There are no aftermarket fans for laptops, HP or otherwise, in the way that you describe - there are just too many different variants.

If the laptop isn't too old, it's usually possible to pick up a factory replacement (such as the one Abu has linked too) or one pulled working from an other wise damaged laptop.

I'd suggest a couple of copper shims (one for CPU, one for GPU) and repasting with MX-4 or Arctic Silver V at the same time as replacing the fan.

Yes after a lot if reading up I know your right, think I have been to used to fixing desktops and having lots of options, I have arctic silver5 paste and cleaner/purifier left off my xbox, so I am fine for paste and stuff.

Pob Am I right in thinking ? CPU > thin Thermal Paste > copper shim > heat sink

can you confirm please mate cheers.

Pob Am I right in thinking ? CPU > thin Thermal Paste > copper shim > heat sink ...
Not quite: CPU | thermal paste | shim | thermal paste | heat sink.

I've found pasting the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heat sink is easier than trying to paste the top shim once it's sat on the CPU.

As for Arctic Silver; make sure you wipe up any excess as it's conductive.

Yes mate cheers, I had a practice last night I stripped down my old Dell Vostro 1000 into pieces and used the paste mainly for practice before I dismantle the G6, but everything went fine :) I even stuck 2 old memory sticks in to give it 2GB ram and PUT windows ultimate on. It brought the old thing back to life so good result and when I put it back together, I had no chew marks on the plastic and no spare screws left over, first time ever and it only took me 2 hours LMAO

Cheers for the info I have got a few shims and a fan in the post of ebay.

Last edited:
@POB ------> WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE POB LOOK AT THIS ???? IT seems digitalworldz has some kind of clone site stealing our threads LMAO this is the strangest thing I have ever seen !!!!!!

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

I've seen this before. They copy and paste the content from other forums to boost their search rank.

Often they have shed loads of ads and/or route links though affiliate programs, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Would be one for admin to assert DW's copyright...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ;)

I've seen this before. They copy and paste the content from other forums to boost their search rank.

Often they have shed loads of ads and/or route links though affiliate programs, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Would be one for admin to assert DW's copyright...

Strange world we live in these day's.......... :err:

Back