insulating a coal shed

Magnu420

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a mate whos thinking of turning his old coal shed,into a small
utilaty room or a small storage room,the coal shed is under the kitchen floor
with bare brick,concrete floor,he was saying he wants to insulate it and make
it a bit warmer (all ways cold thru out the year),there is a door which leads to back yard
and celler,what would be the best,cheep and easy option
my option would be to make a frame and put battons on,with a thermal type plaster board
and for the roof i would put summat like loft insulation between the rafters (kitchen floor and coalshed
roof) and use thermal type plaster board

also would it need damp proofing

i got a mate whos thinking of turning his old coal shed,into a small
utilaty room or a small storage room,the coal shed is under the kitchen floor
with bare brick,concrete floor,he was saying he wants to insulate it and make
it a bit warmer (all ways cold thru out the year),there is a door which leads to back yard
and celler,what would be the best,cheep and easy option
my option would be to make a frame and put battons on,with a thermal type plaster board
and for the roof i would put summat like loft insulation between the rafters (kitchen floor and coalshed
roof) and use thermal type plaster board

also would it need damp proofing

Need a bit more info M8, like photos. You may need to damp-proof walls and floors?

I used server room tiles in my shed . if ye have ever seen these . make great insulation from the concrete base

Looks dry enough, would prefer a nose but by the look a damp-membrane (floor and up the wall by about 100mm) with Kingspan on the top and tongue-n-groove chip as floor followed by battening the walls over more damp membrane then drywall. Wouldn't bother with plaster, just tape, fill and paint.

I had damp going into my cellar via the front of the house. guys dug out the front to see what the problem was and found a surprise.

IMAG0558.jpg

Some feck had put a steel bath in to block the coal shoot and just covered it with gravel. Bath was filling up then once full it overflowed into the cellar.

Back