In the beginning there was Darkness?

luckyroverbill

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi satellite enthusiasts,

Just bought a TM 800 HD on Ebay £64+£14 postage:Smokin: as the Title of this first post suggests, havn't got a clue what to do with it, tried downloading the pdf from RAT 'how to put image on it' but won't let me cause havn't posted yet, (bit strange as its newbies who 'need' assistance)
Anyways to get to the point, is there a fool proof way of setting it up from the beginning, not really asking for a sat feed into Carol vordermans Bathroom or everything free, just a little victory that will encourage research and developement i.e...something to give a passion. Have already set up a motor dish, needs some tweeking though, possesed a Tm 540 but sold that to the guy across the road, who thinks its the bees knees, as he's a top notch mechanic and my cars always breaking down it would be nice to have a bargaining chip with a well set up TM 800 to barter knowledge with.
About the dish tweeking 'i point it due south with the motor set to 0 then look for sats, or do i find a sat for example Thor, set to 0 then scan for other sats' at the mo i think iv'e got the motor set at 0 on 28.2 freesat as i have a Humax hd machine.
Many thanks Bill

Your welcome mate :)

I would advise you do as much reading as possible in this section if you want to install certain plugins, skins etc.

Good luck with the box mate :)

Gutted...
Just recieved an Email from Payal. Giving me a full refund, with the message 'Sorry but this item was dropped whilst preparing for shipping and is now too damaged to send.' ahh well, guess that's that then.

But maybe it ain't as have iv'e been reading up and the TM 800 HD wasn't getting favourable reviews, so maybe someone could suggest what the best second hand box to look for, or has the most support for around £100 or so... Thanks again Rat, no-doubt i will be back for more Tech advice you got any suggestions on whats the best box for a newbie .
Your welcome mate :)

I would advise you do as much reading as possible in this section if you want to install certain plugins, skins etc.

Good luck with the box mate :)

Count yourself lucky mate ! Although I reckon the chap selling the box probably blagged an excuse because he wanted to sell for more cash !
100 quid will probably get you a vu solo clone from China, for beginners this will run vix images which are easier to work with than some other Linux e2 images.
If you can stretch your budget a bit you can get a dm800se clone with a a8p sim which will run all current original images and supports internal hard disk for recording.
160 will get you a twin tuner vu duo clone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeh that was my first thought, but thats whats the average price now for a TM 800 HD on Ebay is going for. Guess the Duo is a bit out of my range at the mo, bit like the VW Golf, i'd like one of them, but i'll guess i will have to stick with my Polo.
Will take your advice on the Vu-Solo, do a bit of looking around before i try Ebay again, try and get one direct from a Chinese seller.

Your reply was very much appreciated Gsmtech.

Count yourself lucky mate ! Although I reckon the chap selling the box probably blagged an excuse because he wanted to sell for more cash !
100 quid will probably get you a vu solo clone from China, for beginners this will run vix images which are easier to work with than some other Linux e2 images.
If you can stretch your budget a bit you can get a dm800se clone with a a8p sim which will run all current original images and supports internal hard disk for recording.
160 will get you a twin tuner vu duo clone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Plumpted for a DM 518s from DealXTreme, whimpttt out on the higher end boxes, my stress level is a bit low at the mo..so decided to tear my hair out on a cheaper box (£40) +free postage, just have to wait now :handball:
Yeh that was my first thought, but thats whats the average price now for a TM 800 HD on Ebay is going for. Guess the Duo is a bit out of my range at the mo, bit like the VW Golf, i'd like one of them, but i'll guess i will have to stick with my Polo.
Will take your advice on the Vu-Solo, do a bit of looking around before i try Ebay again, try and get one direct from a Chinese seller.

Your reply was very much appreciated Gsmtech.

The 518 is a good little basic SD reciever, it's a cut down clone of a Dm500 so no scart socket or card reader. Will be fine for CS though if your just using a client line.
Stick on the Commando 14.7 image and you'll be good to go, this is the best image in terms of features for these boxes, (auto bouquets, EPG etc). Cant go wrong for the price..Yes the boxes are limited feature wise SD only, no hard dis support for recording etc.. Still fine for a basic newbie intro to linux recievers though.

Don't know yet, if its just the difference between HD & Sd then no, but if it denies me access to umpteen HD channels then i might get a little annoyed. Guess its a good entry level box and that's what iv'e decided i need at the mo....
Hi luckyroverbill,

Are you not bothered that it's only an SD receiver...?

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Just what i was waiting to hear GSM, 1, that it is a good entry box, 2 one can't mess it up too easily. 3 there's pretty good support for it.

If my memory is right the 500's where cheaper than this one, and some of the reviews on DX were more critical of the 500, but hey who am i to start giving out advice...There was a WARNING on one of the reviews, guess u guys will know more about it than i will, any ways here it is.
WARNING, don't ever change firmware trough FTP, you can break it. It's needed to update Firmware, not optional. You must do it trough serial using dreambox tool 3.0, with a no-bomb img file (fw2 wont work at this step) After that, with the dreambox conected through ethernet using dreambox tool on flash wizard menu, intal an fw2 image, I'm using Falcon Team image. In the end configure your CS server and enjoy. It's not a tutorial, you must find one on the internet first, I'm giving you a general basic steps to get there
The 518 is a good little basic SD reciever, it's a cut down clone of a Dm500 so no scart socket or card reader. Will be fine for CS though if your just using a client line.
Stick on the Commando 14.7 image and you'll be good to go, this is the best image in terms of features for these boxes, (auto bouquets, EPG etc). Cant go wrong for the price..Yes the boxes are limited feature wise SD only, no hard dis support for recording etc.. Still fine for a basic newbie intro to linux recievers though.

The warning has some sound advice. Firstly the safest way to flash a dm500 or 518 is using a null modem serial cable and dream up software.
Secondly some Gemini images contained a clone killer time bomb which would kill the reciever by over writing the boot loader if the receiver was a clone. So avoid Gemini or make sure the image is clone safe.
You'll be fine with commando images I believe they were developed/tested on clones by the ukcvs chaps. Openpli maxvar Is also very good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The warning has some sound advice. Firstly the safest way to flash a dm500 or 518 is using a null modem serial cable and dream up software.
Secondly some Gemini images contained a clone killer time bomb which would kill the reciever by over writing the boot loader if the receiver was a clone. So avoid Gemini or make sure the image is clone safe.
You'll be fine with commando images I believe they were developed/tested on clones by the ukcvs chaps. Openpli maxvar Is also very good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

agree with @gsm, openPLI-maxvar is a stable image with up-to-date xmls ect and it has its own download menu available for cams ect. regards mdt

Back