How do i get a larger refuse bin from the council?

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
When the wheelie bins were first introduced in my area there were only 4 people living in my house, now we've expanded to 6 people and our existing bin is too small.

Am I entitled to a new larger bin or will I need to buy my own bin?

which area do you live in? i live in kirkless. far i am aware you can have 3 green bins and 1 black bin. for black bin i think you will need to pay for it or you have to buy your own. all to do with recycling...green bins you can get them free if you live in kirklees area

I've got a black, green and brown bin mate :)

Unfortunately I can't recycle shitty nappies etc so they've got to go into the black bin. :)

Best bet is to ask your local council as the rules differ between different council authorities. If you now have recyling wheelie bins for bottles and plastics as well as a brown garden waste bin I doubt you would get a larger black bin, but if you don't ask you don't get. If they say no, make a fuss about it and tell them you think it is rediculous and you will go to the papers about it. ;)

there r different size black bins , phone the counsil up we have 2 normal size as they didnt have any large 1`s left , u shouldnt have to pay for a bin mate , , we have a brown bin green bin and blue bin also , 5 in all , there bloody unsightley things , with the country going enviromental friendley they should give u another bin , even now i still have to put shite in other peeps bins sometimes lol!

We have been told that to get a bigger bin we must pay £65. At the moment i have to jump into the black bin at least a couple of times each week to try to compact the rubbish and also put stuff in the neighbours bin if they have space. Its a total joke.

I'm just off the phone to NLC (North Lanarkshire Council), they said I can trade in my old black bin for a new larger bin if I pay £38 or pay £58 for a new one.

I bet if i was a junkie on all sorts of benefits I'd get one for free. :(

I'm just off the phone to NLC (North Lanarkshire Council), they said I can trade in my old black bin for a new larger bin if I pay £38 or pay £58 for a new one.

Why the fook are we paying council tax. Its a fookin joke it should be supplied free of charge.

Get rid of your current bin(somehow) and say its been stolen.Request a replacement for the large bin that has gone missing.

lol, I think that would work :)

....but I'd probably get the replacement in 8 weeks time and I'd be swamped in shiity nappies :)

i tried to get a bigger bin last year, but the Gateashead Council said i had to have at least 6 people living in here, i had 5 at the time.

They send a guy round the next day with 2 more recyclable bins.

They said i could buy the bigger bin, but its against my principles, i paid poll tax and council tax ever since it started and never missed a payment so why cant the provide me with what i want.

They also said i could use the neighbours bins, so what happens if someone puts something in that they are not happy with, then the neighbours get fined.

It sucks to be honest, i normaly have a couple of black bags full of rubbish that dont fit i the bin come the end of the week, so i have to either take it to the local insinerator, or phone the council to collect it when it mounts up, only problem there is, after 3 times of caling them to do this, i have to pay £20 each pick up.

@ Aftermath, same here mate, we get 3 'special collections' then we have to pay about £20 for each additional collection, incidentally I'm off out to the dump with 3 bags of crap right now.

Back