Employment Issue conerning Light Duties and Redundancy Help Please

wenglishboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive tried numerous google searches and cant seem to get an answer.

My problem is that i have suffered an accident at work and am now back at work on light duties. My manager carefully worded some advice to me as a friend so he says.. Basically he told me to get off light duties other wise i will be first in line for redundancies which are impending. Can anyone shed some light on this issues? Is it true that i would be better off coming off light duties not that i could at the moment anyhow. Is this a form of disscrimination?

Maybe in these current times an employment issues section could be a good idea to help fellow members...

You cannot make the person redundant, you have to make the job redundant. If you are made redundant, you may have a case for unfair dismissal.

quite correct as mairyhinge states the only other thing to take into account is capability butall other avenues must be exhausted first ie: jobs in other areas.

thanks guys as i thought. looks like i will be screwing them in court then.

sickness// lateness// and skills matrix unison funny thing is they are completley shutting down and relocating we have a fair good severence negotiated by the union who are busy sorting out other issues... i thought i would ask before i approached my mate on union on monday when he returns to work... the only thing bugging me really is that should i mention what my slimey err i mean friendly boss said to me because kicking up a fuss would also put me top of the list but they will know what avenue i will pursue should i involve the union leaving them to get rid of me in another manner perhaps...

I hear what your saying oneman, however being in a union is all fair and well. However when the union commitee includes one of the slimey er i mean friendly managers nephews and a good golfing buddy of his too. Then who can blame a man for asking questions outside of the normal loop that should be followed... my mate has been put on night shift since he joined the union committee so has to keep him out of all the meetings that are going on and that is how things operate in practice not in theory.

If you report what the manager has said you will become a whistle blower. If you are then singled out for unfair treatment you will have grounds for a tribuneral. Speak to a union rep regarding protection for whistle blowers he should be able to advise you.

I suppose i will have to phone an outside official or at least mention this during my accident claim to my solicitor just to get it on record. Either way i cant talk to those who are supposed to represent me, because i know how effective and trustworthy they are... I hate saying this because the point of the union is that we are in it together and we watch each others backs and all that. Also i know remarks like i am making only help to divide the union which is why i say nothing to fellow collegues about this. However what i say to you is fact and i have long learned how to play the current system at work and I have played my part on the commitee so have learned about the links between management and so-called union representatives. (do these people have no shame i can only hope that dancing with the devil will only help them to burn quicker)

i would report him to who ever is above him.

Tempting but somehow I get the feeling that his remarks were also the feeling of others above his position. And It would still cause me a lot of aggrevation and at this time at work Im just trying to be like wallpaper and blend into the backround. I will keep you informed of any developments on this issue and its resolution.

Back