E4 plans to go FTA by year's end

Zooropa

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Channel 4 is planning to take its digital entertainment channel E4 free-to-air by the end of 2005, the broadcaster confirmed yesterday.

Such a move would open up the channel - currently only available as part of a pay TV package - to millions more viewers via Freeview and Freesat, but also to those with only basic packages on Sky, NTL and Telewest.

C4 confirmed that the FTA plans were part of a "longer term" strategy but sources told the Guardian today that they would likely come to fruition before 2006.

As well as extended coverage of its reality shows such as Big Brother, E4 also airs first runs of Desperate Housewives, The O.C. and Shameless as well as some original series like Fool Around.

Meanwhile, the broadcaster is still on course to launch another digital station, More4, later this spring.

That will please a lot of people :)

i wonder if rupert will drop his price a quid or two doubt it though

at least something to look forward to (i think) ... wonder why the long wait though ??

good news for some

Good news for my trouble and strife, bad news for top up tv who would want to buy it now :) :)

bet the programming changes IE no first run shows like ER ,I wonder ?

DOOBIE said:
i wonder if rupert will drop his price a quid or two doubt it though

James Murdock runs sky now :S

freeview needs to go pay tv again.. theyre loosing to many pople to sky atm.. if tutv offers more like sports and movies they would be raking it in.. and maybe keep on the tracks of sky.. ie secca2.. hackers kill ondig :(

About time too - wasn't C4 set up as a free broadcaster?

PS: Defiant is right - On Digi were ruined by their own mismanagement on the soccer deal.

Back