dell 5100 laptop bios battery

bakerman

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys i need to take out the bios battery on this dell inspiron 5100. does anyone know where exatly it is?

Documentation

this is the service manual for the inspiron 5100 amongst others, there is a bit to stripdown to get to systemboard, follow manual dont try to skip bits you will bust the plastic bits if you do.....

just a question why are you removing bios batt ? if its to remove power on system, bios or hdd password dont think that works on dell pc's.

Documentation

this is the service manual for the inspiron 5100 amongst others, there is a bit to stripdown to get to systemboard, follow manual dont try to skip bits you will bust the plastic bits if you do.....

just a question why are you removing bios batt ? if its to remove power on system, bios or hdd password dont think that works on dell pc's.

thanks for the very fast reply. i was told to take it out for 5 mins as there is a problem with it booting up,ie it goeson and off im abput 6 seconds. it sometimes lets me press f2 to get into the settings but i cant change them as the keyboard is non responsive. i have changed the fan and heatsink allready. any other ideas would be greatfull. thanks again.
thanks for the documentation also.

Last edited:
remove the hdd and try and see if the machine will stay up and let you into the bios also you could try removing the battery and then power up with the mains adapoter it could be the battery is dead and dragging the power down with it.

report back

remove the hdd and try and see if the machine will stay up and let you into the bios also you could try removing the battery and then power up with the mains adapoter it could be the battery is dead and dragging the power down with it.

report back

no joy with that hatab. i might have to press the power button a few times before it turns on, ie... it power for 1 seccond and back off.

Check the lock lights ( Caps lock, number lock, Scroll loc ) when the system shuts off. do you see any that are flashing, solid or are they all off?

for example...on, flashing, flashing or off, flashing, on... ect \
see here for an example.
Documentation (note this is for a Latidute system however the error code LEDs havent changed much)

if none of that works try to power on the system by press FN+power at the same time. when you release them the system should boot into a preboot diagnostic.

if you get an error code post it here and I will let you know what it means.

Check the lock lights ( Caps lock, number lock, Scroll loc ) when the system shuts off. do you see any that are flashing, solid or are they all off?

for example...on, flashing, flashing or off, flashing, on... ect \
see here for an example.
Documentation (note this is for a Latidute system however the error code LEDs havent changed much)

if none of that works try to power on the system by press FN+power at the same time. when you release them the system should boot into a preboot diagnostic.

if you get an error code post it here and I will let you know what it means.

thanks for the reply, sorry i was working all weekend and did,nt get on the pc at all. ok when powered up caps lock flashing and when i press fn +power together capslock stays on and the other two light flash on and off.
thanks again my friend.

On Flashing Flashing is a memory problem,
reseat your memory.
if you have more than one ( one might be under the keyboard )
remove one module at a time and test.

Back