BUG: Auto Timer doesn't seem to remember when a recording is cancelled

F1Mad

Inactive User
Reaction score
BUG: Auto Timer doesn't seem to remember when a recording cancelled (iQ 24/04/2012)

I've put this as a BUG, because in all honesty, it doesn't seem to be logical! Basically, I had an Auto Timer set for Puss in Boots, which obviously then added a regular timer when it found a match. Now, I noticed that the regular timer it had set would have stopped me from recording something else, so I deleted the Regular timer thinking that this would be it. When I came back to the box later, I was horrified to see that it had added the same regular timer back in.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but should it not remember that I deleted a timer for that slot already? Does it mean that I'm forced to also disable the Auto Timer to stop it from re-enabling regular timers that it has created and I've deleted?

This is really cr*p behaviour! Something that Windows seem to have implemented really well with their "Record Series" functionality.

Last edited:
Re: BUG: Auto Timer doesn't seem to remember when a recording cancelled (iQ 24/04/201

Auto timer is used as a series link function so if you delete regular timer it creates, it will replace it as thats what its supposed to do. This is in my opinion not a bug but rather misconception of the user as to the function of a feature.

Re: BUG: Auto Timer doesn't seem to remember when a recording cancelled (iQ 24/04/201

Auto timer is used as a series link function so if you delete regular timer it creates, it will replace it as thats what its supposed to do. This is in my opinion not a bug but rather misconception of the user as to the function of a feature.

Hi mate, I had a feeling it would be something like that (ie just how the functionality is set up). I can see that there are a lot of options to be set for Auto Timers, but I can't immediately see any that would allow me to do what I want. So let's call is a "FEATURE" and not a "BUG". BUT, that doesn't make it right IMHO...

With quite a few channels showing continuous repeats of the same thing (here's a prime example - BBC's Click!), some "intelligent" way is needed for managing Series. Media Center, although still not perfect, has implemented a relatively easy way to manage this. When considering a program that's part of a series, you can select "Record Series". For that series recording, you can set a handleful of options like "only record first showing". Aside from that, in the example I mentioned above, I can simply cancel the recording of 1 of the episodes without having to worry about it re-adding that same recording back.

In short, I shouldn't need to disable my Auto Timer to stop 1 episode from recording! ;)

you can tailor auto timer to look for specific points such as certain time slot or day of the week and that will limit a lot of unnecessary recordings but you have to set that up at the time of the auto timer. in your case deleting the standard timer is not the way as auto timer kicks in and says " hang on there's something i need to record tonight " and again it generates a timer for that recording.

i know it's not a perfect system and could do with some tweeks.

Back