Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up a motorised dish

A friend is coming to put my dish up and get it bang on thor at 0.8w he then says it will be down to me to get the box working and tune in my own satellites
    My question is will it be quite easy from there to track the other several satellites i wanna use or have i missed something wanna try sort it for weekend

Also, what transponders are best to tune to

80cm dish motorised and spiderbox 9000hd

Cheers

Brin

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Setting up a motorised dish

Quote Originally Posted by brin251 View Post
    A friend is coming to put my dish up and get it bang on thor at 0.8w he then says it will be down to me to get the box working and tune in my own satellites
    My question is will it be quite easy from there to track the other several satellites i wanna use or have i missed something wanna try sort it for weekend

Also, what transponders are best to tune to

80cm dish motorised and spiderbox 9000hd

Cheers

Brin
    once your dish is lined up on thor and your usals co-ordinates are input the dish will track the arc and if you choose multi-sat scan the box will scan each satellite along the arc for you. regards mdt
    TECHNOMATE F3/5, GENERIC 1.2M OFF-SET DISH, TM2600 USALS, IBU ,55 EAST to 45 WEST

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one part you must take some time over is the initial mounting pole, you must take pains to get that pole truly vertical. Not only on the left and right sides but the front and back as well.
    Use a spirit level and TAKE YOUR TIME over this as it's THE most important thing when setting up a motor.
    Any error in the vertically of the mounting pole will be magnified by the number of degrees the motor tracks.
    A poorly mounted pole might well bring in say Thor, Sirius and the closer satellites but be well out at say Astra2 or Hispasat.
    So this mundane part of installation turns out to be of paramount importance, don't skimp on this one point.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimihendrix View Post
    The one part you must take some time over is the initial mounting pole, you must take pains to get that pole truly vertical. Not only on the left and right sides but the front and back as well.
    Use a spirit level and TAKE YOUR TIME over this as it's THE most important thing when setting up a motor.
    Any error in the vertically of the mounting pole will be magnified by the number of degrees the motor tracks.
    A poorly mounted pole might well bring in say Thor, Sirius and the closer satellites but be well out at say Astra2 or Hispasat.
    So this mundane part of installation turns out to be of paramount importance, don't skimp on this one point.
    i am getting a satellite pro to do it what do u think of 90 quid for the job i will still do the box myself

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdt View Post
    once your dish is lined up on thor and your usals co-ordinates are input the dish will track the arc and if you choose multi-sat scan the box will scan each satellite along the arc for you. regards mdt
    Does the spiderbox hd9000 use usals i thought it was disq 2.1 or somethin which i believe is a tad harder to set up

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the spiderbox hd9000 use usals i thought it was disq 2.1 or somethin which i believe is a tad harder to set up
    Oh yes mate and the USALS is 110% accurate!!, DiseqC is fine except you have to locate each satellite and store it's position.

If your motor is USALS compatible and the installer does a good job (90 is not unreasonable) then you will get whatever span can be achieved from your location.
    From my location I can span from 45 east to 30 west no problem except for Nilesat 7 west which would need a 2 mtr dish and my wife says NO.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very easy to set the dish on one sat (Thor in your case) and have EVERY vital adjustable angle set WRONG!!
    Do yourself a favour, install the patch and a channel list (Billybits). Have your installer set your latitude and longitude in your Spiderbox, then use USALS as the means of finding all the sats. Check as a minimum, 1w, 19e 28e & 30w.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimihendrix View Post
    Oh yes mate and the USALS is 110% accurate!!, DiseqC is fine except you have to locate each satellite and store it's position.

If your motor is USALS compatible and the installer does a good job (90 is not unreasonable) then you will get whatever span can be achieved from your location.
    From my location I can span from 45 east to 30 west no problem except for Nilesat 7 west which would need a 2 mtr dish and my wife says NO.
    dont blame her lol

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dark beech View Post
    It is very easy to set the dish on one sat (Thor in your case) and have EVERY vital adjustable angle set WRONG!!
    Do yourself a favour, install the patch and a channel list (Billybits). Have your installer set your latitude and longitude in your Spiderbox, then use USALS as the means of finding all the sats. Check as a minimum, 1w, 19e 28e & 30w.

i have a gps on my telescope so i know my co-ordinates spot on i also know how to put this in the box i think what you are saying is if the engineer does a good job and finds my sat for me and everything is parrallell and set up properly my box should do he job for me

I hope im right

By the way billybits where are his channel lists

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a gps on my telescope so i know my co-ordinates spot on i also know how to put this in the box i think what you are saying is if the engineer does a good job and finds my sat for me and everything is parrallell and set up properly my box should do he job for me

I hope im right

By the way billybits where are his channel lists
    Just one more thing, make sure the coordinates are in decimal NOT base sixty which is still widely used.

Decimal coordinates would look something like 54.10N 0.2w (a minus indication means west no minus means east e.g. -0.2 is 0.2W, 0.2 is 0.2E.

Base sixty coordinates would look something like 54'30'30N and 00'2'2 W

Page 1 of 2 12 Last