Openbox S10 dead no power help needed

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Openbox S10 given to me but it's dead, no power/lights and the only thing I've done is changed the plug fuse.I was going to stick it in a bedroom. I'm not too bad fixing smallish jobs so is there anything I can do myself ?

Just as a follow up, I did manage to flash it via the rs232 with a null modem and all went well. I then put it back on the TV and now it's dead again. I then re-connected it to the PC but I keep getting "STB memory error" and I've tried every timing combo.

any idea's ?

Thank for that , I just gave it a go with the PVR800HD upgrade. I get the connecting then after about 20 seconds I get "check serial port status ..." then a "Com test error" opening serial port is failed.

I'm using the 2.0.0c 2009-05-22 upgrader, I won't spend forever on it so do you think its buggered ? the serial port on the PC n null modem cable work fine with a dm500 & dreamup

p.s just checked on the pc in comp management to see what the com port settings were ,

what should they be ?
the default bit settings is 9600
data bits 8
parity none
stop bits 1
flow control none
does the bit settings need changing to 115200 ?

Last edited:
I think its buggered , it gets another 1/2 an hour then the bin it goes,
I tried that ali3606_RS232 but when I turn on the power I get ;-

Target not connect or target is error status!

So I connected a dm500 on the same com port just to make sure the com port and cables fine and it connected straight away using dreamup. Whats baffling me is, I flashed it a few hr ago , unplugged it to take it back to the TV and when I plugged it in it's dead again. thanks manic but if you've nothing else I'm afraid it's the wheelie bin for this box.

just thinking, is Windows 7 ok or is it better done on XP ?

its the psu mate I have seen a few now that do this and a replacement psu will fix it
rip the lid off and check the caps bet there mushroomed at the top

If you are OK soldering, it's only a couple of pounds.

Don't bin it, someone will have a use for one.

I'm fine with the old soldering iron from my old atmel days, what needs doing ?

just an update , I got a new PSU and tried again . This time I got it to connect and got CHECK SERIAL PORT STATUS...then it started to burn the flash but failed about 90% in. When I tried again it just hangs there for about 20-30 seconds the I get Com Test Error,,,,opening serail port is failed and never get to the burn flash.

I have tried just about every timing there is from 1 second right up to 30 seconds between turning the power on but I cant get it to connect.
Itried it on my PC windows 7 using the comport and same on the laptop with XP. I know the null modem cable is fine as I can flash a dreambox with dreamup no problems on both pc and laptop.

you know the comport settings in device manager ? do they have to equal the eeprom program ? the program has it as 11520 parity evens were as device manager has it as 9600 and parity evens

or
Are there any drivers I could add to see if its just the comport on my lappy with XP as it seems to be a comport issue rather than a psu as it did bite once with the new psu but failed on the burn

Back