Thread: Have you ever Been told your sweat is smelly ?

Forum: Health and Fitness

I was taken to one side by the gym instructor, who also takes the circuits class, that he had complaints about my sweat smelling, while I was doing the class. Two females had appar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DW Senior Member
    DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever Been told your sweat is smelly ?

I was taken to one side by the gym instructor, who also takes the circuits class, that he had complaints about my sweat smelling, while I was doing the class. Two females had apparently told him that my sweat was overpowering. He said that it could be due to my diet and also to change my shirt if I attend more than one class. I was clearly taken aback and offended by this comment and thought he'd handled it very badly and thought he should have told the complainants it was unavoidable and it's just the nature of group exercise sessions, rather than confront me. Do you think I'm over reacting. What do you guys think and have any of you had a similar experience, what did you do. What do you think I should do.

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Have you ever Been told your sweat is smelly ?

They are just feeling threatened due to your pheromones LOL (I have still to see conclusive studies on this).

Do you think you smell bad?

Try an "anti-perspirant" instead of "deoderant", Lynx Dry works for me and I used to sweat a lot more in the gym using the standard one. I did't smell (that I know of) but I've known people there to stink without sweating so I thought I'd be better off looking dry.

Do you eat very spicy foods or anything like that?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can be complicated this, if the sweat you are expelling is instantly foul smelling then get yourself to a doc ASAP.

We all sweat and the sweat will eventually start to smell as bacteria starts to grow, the trick is to keep on top of it by showering paying particular attention to the sweatiest bits (armpits, bum crack etc, lol), if the sweat is allowed to ferment in these areas then the stench will be overwhelming.

Make sure your body and your clothing is clean before entering the gym, any bacteria which has not been properly removed from your clothing or skin with soon start smelling once it is warmed up.

I'm not one for inhibiting the release of sweat, I sweat like a hell, I'd rather have my body producing a few pints of sweat then having all my pores blocked up with some chemical, it can't be healthy.

Get it out, but scrub your body and scrub your clothing afterwards, using a biological soap powder is beneficial as it breaks down the bacteria etc.

I feel like I'm teaching someone to suck eggs here.

But u get the idea.

Last edited by witchy; 14th August 2010 at 01:28.

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if dehydration can play a part?

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say first he did take aside to talk to you about it, he didn't do it in front of everyone.

In case the other class members are offended then as a couple of people have mentioned, make sure you wear clean clothing before you start the class, make sure you have showered. If you do sweat a lot then consider taking a towel with you into the class to wipe excess sweat off.

If you are worried about it, ask a close friend to be honest with you.

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A guy i used to work with sweated very heavily and to be honest it stank! Used to make everyone in the office feel sick. Eventuallly his manager had to take him aside and tell him, it wasn't so much of a problem after that.

Fresh sweat shouldn't be smelly, it's only stale sweat that should smell, so if you are sweating and it has a strong smell even when fresh, maybe look at your diet, if you eat a lot of garlic or spicy foods. It could also be related to medicines you are taking.

You can buy an extra strong anti perspirant/deodorant called Driclor, maybe give that a go?

DW Senior Member
    DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    They are just feeling threatened due to your pheromones LOL (I have still to see conclusive studies on this).

Do you think you smell bad?

Try an "anti-perspirant" instead of "deoderant", Lynx Dry works for me and I used to sweat a lot more in the gym using the standard one. I did't smell (that I know of) but I've known people there to stink without sweating so I thought I'd be better off looking dry.

Do you eat very spicy foods or anything like that?
    Thanks, I don't think I smell bad at all. I don't like the idea of using chemicals on my body just before exercise as I'll be ingesting them into my body during training. Also I'm not that vain about my natural body odour and I don't see why I should have to mask it because of social pressures and people around me who may feel insecure and bow uder that type of pressure.

DW Senior Member
    DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by witchy View Post
    Can be complicated this, if the sweat you are expelling is instantly foul smelling then get yourself to a doc ASAP.

We all sweat and the sweat will eventually start to smell as bacteria starts to grow, the trick is to keep on top of it by showering paying particular attention to the sweatiest bits (armpits, bum crack etc, lol), if the sweat is allowed to ferment in these areas then the stench will be overwhelming.

Make sure your body and your clothing is clean before entering the gym, any bacteria which has not been properly removed from your clothing or skin with soon start smelling once it is warmed up.

I'm not one for inhibiting the release of sweat, I sweat like a hell, I'd rather have my body producing a few pints of sweat then having all my pores blocked up with some chemical, it can't be healthy.

Get it out, but scrub your body and scrub your clothing afterwards, using a biological soap powder is beneficial as it breaks down the bacteria etc.

I feel like I'm teaching someone to suck eggs here.

But u get the idea.

Thanks, I don't smell instantly. I train between 5/7 days a week and I shower daily and wear fresh clothing every day and I've also bought some tops with the breathable materials that quickly allow sweat to dry so you're not soaked with sweat like with cotton clothing. I totally agree with you on the use of chemicals, it definitely isn't healthy. And what's wrong with sweating anyway, it's only natural, isn't it?

DW Senior Member
    DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oneman View Post
    I have to say first he did take aside to talk to you about it, he didn't do it in front of everyone.

In case the other class members are offended then as a couple of people have mentioned, make sure you wear clean clothing before you start the class, make sure you have showered. If you do sweat a lot then consider taking a towel with you into the class to wipe excess sweat off.

If you are worried about it, ask a close friend to be honest with you.
    Thanks, as I pointed out to the trainer, I always take a towel with me when I train, unlike a lot of other users. In fact I'm one of those considerate people who makes sure, after using equipment I wipe down any sweat I may have left on the equipment. As it happens when the trainer told me of the complaint I asked him to smell me and say if I smelled. He did and said I didn't smell and I was dripping with sweat because I'd just been on the cross trainer and rowing machine.

DW Cash
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe it was a one off, after eating something specific or somebody just doesn't like you which is a bit crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast