Post up your current workout...

stuz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Thought I may as well try to liven up the discussion in here a little bit. Post up your weekly workout whether it be an intensive weight-based routine or just a game of football with the lads.

One thing I've learned over the years is that one of the best ways to get new ideas to chop and change your routine is to ask others what it is that they do and what works well for them!

This weeks weights programme for me consists of a routine that a mate of mine has lifted from an iPhone app and after tailoring it a bit we've decided to give it a go.

Monday:

Football 1.5hr

Tuesday:

Hockey match 1.5hr

Wednesday:

Weights (4 sets 6-8 reps strength training)
Deadlifts
Decline Leg Curl
Dumbell Lunge
Single leg calf raises on step. Using smiths machine to add weight/balance
Hanging leg raises
Decline crunches with medicine ball

Thursday

Swimming.
Interval training in the pool.
8 lengths breast stroke @75% max then 1 length front crawl @100% max
rest 30 seconds
x3 sets

6 lengths breast stroke @75% max then 1 length front crawl @100% max
rest 30 seconds
x3 sets

Then do 4 lenths, 2 lengths and 1 length in the same manner as above for 3 sets each.

(this is a NIGHTMARE!!!)

Friday

Barbell bench press
Barbell bent over row in squat cage
Dumbell Flyes
Seated Reverse Fly
Preacher Curls
French Press

Saturday
Squats in squat cage
Dumbell Lunges
Single leg calf raises on step. Using smiths machine to add weight/balance
Crunch Twists
Reverse Crunches

Sunday

Pullups
Dips (brutal start lol)
Military Press
Upright Row
Hammer Curls
Tricep Pull Downs

Monday

REST!!!

The exercises and order they are performed changes now and then but this is the approximate layout. I keep the main compound lift to the start of each session, rarely someone will be using the racks or something but I normally manage it. The exception to that is shrugs first on Thursdays, I found it pre-exhausts the traps to make them less likely to get involved in anything afterwards.

No barbell rows? I'm still trying to figure out what gets irritated in one forearm off these (and wide grip pulldowns/ups) I suspect brachioradialis or the bursa on the radial tuberosity :). Biceps were moved to the beginning, to stop them getting as involved in the back exercises.

No triceps isolation? I had an operation on an arm last year. Presses seem to be working for the moment anway, adding more close grip bench press.

Each day takes about 60 minutes, 4~5 sets of up to 10 reps. Sometimes I go to lower rep ranges in the last set or two, usually in squats, deadlift and barbell bench press (bit dodgy with no spotter). Reverse fly seems to be better slightly lighter and around 12 reps.

Trying to find a day to add some direct forearms in, my set of Heavy Grips doesn't get much use. I do deadlifts and shrugs using double overhand grip with no straps and find grip to be the limiter. Again, the need for an operation put a dampener on this last year.

Monday - Chest & Triceps

Barbell Bench Press
Close Grip Barbell Bench Press (Sometimes)
Inclined Smith Machine/Dumbbell Bench Press
Decline Barbell Bench Press (Sometimes)
Dumbell Fly Machine (Not a shoulder-mangling Pec-Deck!)
Dips
Iso-Lateral Chest Press Machine

Tuesday - Back & Biceps

Deadlift
Straight Bar Curls (Sometimes E-Z bar, sometimes Preacher)
Inclined Dumbbell Curls (just added this)
T-Bar Row
Pulldown Machine/Pullups ("Overhand" grip)
Iso-Lateral Back Machine (actually the other end of the Iso chest machine) (sometimes)
Hammer Low-Row Back Machine
Abdominal Machine (weighted)

Thursday - Shoulders

Barbell Shrugs (pyramid 8~10 sets, maybe some static holds in the middle)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press/Seated Barbell Shoulder Press
Reverse Fly (on the Dumbbell Fly machine)
Dumbbell Lateral Raise/Hammer Lateral Raise Machine (Sometimes)
Dumbbell Shrugs/Behind-Back Smith Machine Shrugs
Hammer Dumbbell Shoulder Press/Smith Machine Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Front Raise (Sometimes)

Friday - Legs

Barbell Squat
Seated Leg Curl/Lying Leg Curl (Sometimes both)
Hack Squat Machine (Sometimes)
"Inverted" Leg Press (Body moves up and down) (Sometimes)
Leg Extensions (Sometimes)
Seated Calf Raise
Standing Calf Raise

Cheers Spectre, looks like a solid programme youve got there. Do you not do any cardio?

Thats a hell of a lot of shoulder exercises, if you were looking to get it all done in 3 days you could cut it down to shrugs, reverse flys and shoulder press and combine it with your leg session if you were to take a couple of exercises out of that as well. That way you might benefit from sticking in an all over body sesh or CV on the Friday.

Please dont misinterpret this post, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with your programme- I think its obviously been well thought out and planned. Just wondering for discussions sake why it is that you choose to do what you do. :)

I used to do the 3 day split with shoulders and legs on a Friday, I did that for a few months last year. I go quite heavy with legs and didn't want to do shoulders between leg sets. My Friday session was getting too long so I split it in two :).

No cardio at the moment, apart from lots of walking (just started walking home from gym, ~40 minutes). I was hoping to start the cross country mountain biking again with Draca. That should be fun and games as I've put three stone on since I was last on my bike, about half of it fat but I'll deal with that later :).

This forums confusing me, I had a load of sections which appeared below the Digital World Of Sport this morning and now theyve dissapeared again! Strange!

Spectre I think I'll try your programme next week and I'll let you know how it feels. I invite you to try mine just for a change of scenery?

The forum is being updated!

I might have a go but I think some exercises might affect my elbow and forearm. I have the days arranged like that as I know what machines and areas will be in use at the gym :).

Remember where I have "Sometimes" it meand the whole line.

Ahhh makes sense, I thought someone had been playing about with my permissions or something- I still cant PM either!

Well I'm feeling ambitious so I will just go for it and complete all of the exercises, even the ones that say 'sometimes'! We dont have a dumbell flye or lateral raise machine though so I think I'll just do them with freeweights.

Ahhh makes sense, I thought someone had been playing about with my permissions or something- I still cant PM either!

Well I'm feeling ambitious so I will just go for it and complete all of the exercises, even the ones that say 'sometimes'! We dont have a dumbell flye or lateral raise machine though so I think I'll just do them with freeweights.

I try to do 6 exercises per session. Some aren't related to the main muscle groups though, like abs on back day and traps on shoulder day which some people do with back. That makes some days look busier.

Forum upgrades will be completed soon :).

Back