WANTED HELP with windows 8 or 8.1 Pro

Napster

Global Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

just got myself a new laptop with windows 8 Pro pre installed and I want to change the hard drive to a SSD but I don't have a copy of windows 8, has any one got a link to an untouched version, I have looked but can only find cracked copies.

one more question been told the serial for my copy of windows is built into the bios of the new laptop, how the heck to you input that into windows when you do an clean install as I have never come across this before.

cheers for reading.

First check for an option to create recovery disks - you may have to do this via either BIOS Setup/Boot Options/Safe Mode. Most OEMs now add a small recovery partition.

If you keep the HDD intact then if this next bit doesn't work you'll be able to revert to a working system. You don't input the code in these OEM builds, it figures it out for itself and it's pre-activated.

If it moans at you follow the help links and give Microshaft a ring, tell them you changed the drive and they'll give you a new code :)

Last edited:
what versions you looking for
x32 or x64

The way I did it was to grab a cheap USB hard drive caddy from ebay (just under £5) then plugged it into my main PC to make an image of the original drive, using the free version of macrium reflect, then put that image on the SSD drive, the program handled the resizing from one drive to the other.

It booted up and did a couple of updates then rebooted and all was working as it should.

On a side note a big problem I had lately was finding a way to re-install windows 8.1 on my main machine as I only have a windows 8 disc and it wouldn't make a recovery disc as it kept saying there were files missing and it needed the windows installation disc, but when I put my original disc in it wouldnt recognise it. It's an official windows 8 disc, not downloaded.

Windows 8 has a couple of ways to "freshen" your install. One way is to use the refresh option which cleans your windows without losing files, the other is to re-install windows and set it back to default, but both of these don't work properly if you have started on the original windows 8 then updated to 8.1.

In the end I had to wipe the drive and install windows 8 from the disc then do all the updates (it wouldnt install 8.1 until I had done 94 updates) after the 8.1 updates there was another 90 odd updates to do.

And I thought windows 8 was suppose to be easier to handle than 7. :)

use rw-everything to grab your embedded key from BIOS
grab a copy of the latest Win 8.1 with APR update 1 (MSDN untouched off many a torrent site)
*(you may need to to use slrmgr /upk to unregister current key before fresh install, not sure about this)
install 8.1 using default install key (should be with the nfo/readme of the copy of 8.1 you obtained)
when installed activate with key obtained from rw-everything
pat yourself on the back, yay :)

what SSD do you have, make, since most manufacturers provide there own cloning software for such a task.

Last edited:
just tried rw everything but can't seem to find the windows code what I'm I doing wrong ?

Have you managed this or do you still need help? I always use a caddy, insert the new drive, then clone the old drive onto the new one wit HD Clone. There is a copy under computer downloads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

Managed to get a copy of windows 8.1 but for some reason it wont allow me to use my serial number, says not compatable with version I have, do I need version 8 and not 8.1.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

You need to clone your drive, not re-install, or build from recovery disks. Serial numbers are tied to OEM hardware so won't work with copies in, say, retail.

If your laptop came with windows 8, that is where you have to start. Then once it has been installed you do all the updates and then go to the store for 8.1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i did the same thing installed a SSD.I just used a cloning software "PC disk clone"..cloned my hard drive onto SSD then just did a swap..no hassles all good..its the best way to go..
There are a few good FREE disk cloning software's out there..

Hi

Managed to get a copy of windows 8.1 but for some reason it wont allow me to use my serial number, says not compatable with version I have, do I need version 8 and not 8.1.

Cheers

you cannot use an 8 key for an 8.1 install, although you can activate 8.1 with the 8 key once installed, bit daft but thats how it is.

you must install 8.1 with a default install key then once fully installed go to my pc->properties 'change key'/activate and input the 8 key, it does work.

if you don't have the default install keys drop us a PM and I'll send them to you.

So I need to get myself a copy of windows 8 and all will be good, as thats the codebuilt into bios of the laptop.

Will upload Windows 8 x64 (.iso) to my Dropbox and then you can cut your own DVD or make a bootable USB key. Will send you the link later for download.

Back