Any Coin Experts Out There?

Redgun71

DW Regular ++
Reaction score
Any help or advice please.

I was doing some spring cleaning for my mum and found my late dad's coin box.
There was lots lots of old coins but 4 stood out to me, so I checked on E&ay and these coins are worth a bit of money.

1853 US$2 1/2 Liberty Head/Eagle Coin
1910 Edward VII Sovereign
1915 George V Sovereign
1926 George V Sovereign

1) How can I tell if they are gold/real?
2) Where is the best place to value/sell these coins?
3) Is there inheritance tax liability if I sell the coins?

Thanks

Don't worry about inheritance tax m8, they would have to be worth more than 325 thousand quid to pay it.

1853 US 2.50$ Coins, there are 2 different types. 1st type is the standard eagle (This is the most common) 2nd type is the D eagle (Which is rare and worth much more money).
The Standard Eagle is carrying twigs in it's talons, whereas the D Eagle has a D in it's talons.
A good place to check out this coin is here :: PCGS The Standard for the Rare Coin Industry

The Sovereigns value will be more dependant on their condition than the actual dates, with average condition coins being worth £250 to £400, however the same coins in very good condition can make their value soar into the Thousands of Pounds.

All of your coins should certainly be worth more than the gold scrap value, which varies from company to company which at the moment for 22 carat gold (which these coins are) should be between £20 to £30 per gramme, with the sovereigns weighing 8 grammes so between £160 to £240.

Back