Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to hide TV wires?wall mount installation

I thinking off getting a Wall mounted Tv but am crap at electrcals any ideas on how to hide the wires in the wall
    1 power wire to the tv
    1 cable scart wire drembox to tv
    1 ps3 wire to tv
    pls can you show me a diagram or pic iff poss?
    cheers

DW Cash
    Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you installing this on a stud wall (i.e plaster boarded) or is the wall solid concrete or bricks ?

well if its bricks/concrete you need an angle grinder channel maker and/or if your house is finsihed then the angle grinder is out because it will make alot of dust....

so you need patients and a club hammer (5KG min) and say a 2" bolster and work your way up this will make some mess but wont make anyway near the kinda mess a grinder will make, once you have made your channel and how deep it will be place the cables in some plastic like a carrier bag or if you want to be really professional use some DPM (damp proof membrain) but thats a little ott, and really you should cover them with a metal cover found from most electrical shops it costs about 6 quid for 3 meters and is 2 inch wide (but i would not honestly bother if it was a DIY job) get yourself some bonding and a straight bit of wood or metel and mix it up and bond the wall (not to thick you will need to filla it later and paint)

if its plasterboard you are pretty lucky because you can make a hole behind the tele (where your plasma will be) and work down to the middle stud (nogging that goes across (horizontal)) and make a small hole at the top and bottom through the plasterboard then cut out the middle bit (this should be about 3-4 inches up and as wide as you need for the wires to go around the nogging) you might need a chisel to take some of the wood out of the nogging (but this will depend on the wires and there thickness's) and once that is done just cover over them with some plastic (for example a carrier bag) and filla it.... you will never know you have any wires in the wall

also some older housed dont use a middle nogging so you might find that you can jut drop the cable down.

also there should be insulation in the walls which will make it difficult to feed the cable down the wall a good tip is to use some 10mm earth say 3 meters as this cable is pretty thick and will go past the insulation pretty quick.

when mounting the plasma you must find studs (wood going verticle up your wall behind the plasterboard) or your plasma could fall of the wall, they are normally 400mm from each other so if you find one you should find the next one easy with a tape measure (but they can be 600mm) and also depending on the chipie that built the studs they coul be any measurement as there is plenty of cowboys out there (should be 400)

i do this kinda thing alot and also i am putting a small plasma in my bedroom at the weekend so if you can wait i can show you an example on plasterboard
    Last edited by Mick; 24th August 2007 at 07:28.
    Live your life!

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MickieD, you should add a disclaimer to the bottom of that lol:

NOTE: I will not be held responsible if you **** up

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking of putting up my plasma up on the old chimney brest. Are they o.k to be put up above a gas fire. It worries me about the heat rising from the fire?

I thinking of knocking a brick out the front of the chimney running the cables down through chimney in trunking and out of another hole down the bottom.
    Difficult takes a day
    Impossible takes a week :Cheers:

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is directly behind the wall your putting the telly on.

you have 2 options.

drill through wall to push cables through , mine is wall mounted ( i drilled through the wall, on the other side i come through a kitchen unit, then dropped to sockets ) cant see any wires at all.

If its adjoining next door , then you have to either bury them in the wall by channeling it out, or use trunking (which can look out of place ) i would bury them and make sure you cover the cables in case of accidently drilling through in the future before plastering over.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what do you mean cowboys it depend`s on the p/board your using ie 9.5 or 12.5 if 12.5 it is then it would be 600 centres if 9.5 it would then be 400 centres so it is`nt cause it was done by cowboys it`s just the differant materials aswell and possibly it stated that in the drawings to

cheers not moaning just commenting

In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought.......
    DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatspanner View Post
    I'm thinking of putting up my plasma up on the old chimney brest. Are they o.k to be put up above a gas fire. It worries me about the heat rising from the fire?

I thinking of knocking a brick out the front of the chimney running the cables down through chimney in trunking and out of another hole down the bottom.
    I'm not sure how much effect the heat will have on the set, but if you knock a brick out of the front of the chimney breast above a gas fire, you could end up with fumes coming into the room. It could also effect the draught to the fire and cause spillage from the fire into the room. It's possible there could be a flue liner running up the stack but you could end up damaging the cables running alongside it to the set. I'd sink the cables into the plaster/brickwork if I was you m8.

The other alternative is to run them surface in trunking but there is a good chance this will look shite

Cur1y
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyH View Post
    That nice bloke Curly already posted it................
    Camera is in the box, just waiting for the blue tits. New stream coming soon

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Cur1y

Had not thought of things like that, so will have ask one of my mates who a plumber. Hoping i could use that installation method, cause as you say surface mounting looks shite.

It sounded the best idea as i could add and remove cables at will then
    Difficult takes a day
    Impossible takes a week :Cheers:

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your going to do it in trunking you could go for something like this http://www.d-line-it.com/
    “Press Any Key. Where's the Any key?”
    -Homer Simpson

DW Cash
    Trophies
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    635 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike361 View Post
    what do you mean cowboys it depend`s on the p/board your using ie 9.5 or 12.5 if 12.5 it is then it would be 600 centres if 9.5 it would then be 400 centres so it is`nt cause it was done by cowboys it`s just the differant materials aswell and possibly it stated that in the drawings to

cheers not moaning just commenting

you did not read my reply correctly i stated

OR 600 then said

IT COULD BE ANY MEASUREMENT DEPENDING ON COWBOYS meaning 610, 440, 580, 330, 380 etc etc etc etc (NOT STANDARD MEASUREMENTS)

400 and 600 is normally standard and if you are building a wall 400mm for studs is more stable than 600mm studs and more than normally walls are 400mm well most jobs i have done or ever worked on after but i have found 600's just much more 400's

Live your life!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last