Amiko Mini T2/Cable help with scanning

stefblak

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Im being served from Uddingston, scanned with what i think or thought was the frequencies, however half the channels are missing.

Im being served from Uddingston, scanned with what i think or thought was the frequencies, however half the channels are missing.

Stef take it you are doing a full network scan (nit on) rather than individual scan (nit off) against each frequency?

What ought to happen is that a network scan should pick up all live frequencies you will probably find most channels on qam 256 and a handful on qam 64 (Uddingston used to be broadly similar to Lothian back in the day at least). I dont think the tuners are the strongest on these boxes compared to the Q5 or dreambox and particularly so at frequencies at the low 100`s (107 and 115 aint great here).

Might be worth trying another scan mate?

sorry to sound ignorant, but whats the deal with these boxes? a search on ebay shows t2/s2 which i'm guessing is hd terrestrial and satellite but this is posted in cable, i'm after a erm ''fta'' cable box but i want to stay far away from the phantom boxes (i have a sneaking suspicion that they're rebadges S7 boxes, and we all know what happened to *view back in the day), sorry been off the tv scene for a looong time after ditching my kv a750 3 or 4 years ago

sorry to sound ignorant, but whats the deal with these boxes? a search on ebay shows t2/s2 which i'm guessing is hd terrestrial and satellite but this is posted in cable, i'm after a erm ''fta'' cable box but i want to stay far away from the phantom boxes (i have a sneaking suspicion that they're rebadges S7 boxes, and we all know what happened to *view back in the day), sorry been off the tv scene for a looong time after ditching my kv a750 3 or 4 years ago

The minis are T2C mate so works as terrestrial or cable.

well thats handy to know, looks like i'll be checking these out, any idea how long the erm, subs, last for? i know the KV's are still going strong (or were last time i looked) so looking for one thats similar and where i won't need to re-buy a box every year for channeles etc, or are these one's where you need a private subscription/c-line deal?

sorry for the dumb questions, last time i looked at getting a box there was only kv a780's around, and there seems much much more choice now lol, thanks for the quick response though, muchly appreciated

u can buy a months sub or anything up to a year. they start around a tenner a month, if u know where to look. we cant say to much on here due to rules about talking about such things. but these boxes are FTA, however some 'ahem' magic they can be used the same as the sat boxes these days.

I dont think the tuners are the strongest on these boxes compared to the Q5 or dreambox and particularly so at frequencies at the low 100`s (107 and 115 aint great here).

That's actually a myth that partly relates to something spread by sellers of other brands but also back to when the receivers were first introduced with little information around and the few owners there were at the time not all quite grasping how they work. I can assure you 100% there is no issue at all with the tuners, they work just as they should but the key is making sure the area default frequency, symbol rate and QAM are correct, along with NIT Search on (just as you mentioned), providing all this is correct there will be no problems at all in finding all the channels it should, which should be approx 330-360 but all depending on area.

That's actually a myth that partly relates to something spread by sellers of other brands but also back to when the receivers were first introduced with little information around and the few owners there were at the time not all quite grasping how they work. I can assure you 100% there is no issue at all with the tuners, they work just as they should but the key is making sure the area default frequency, symbol rate and QAM are correct, along with NIT Search on (just as you mentioned), providing all this is correct there will be no problems at all in finding all the channels it should, which should be approx 330-360 but all depending on area.

well said, re scanned all my channels are here and working fine. i just had the wrong frequencies. a channel list and decent bouquet wouldnt go a miss if im honest. looks good so far.

i think i get what you're saying now, i don't mean to infringe any rules, but i guess they use internet key sharing to send the channel decryption key back to the box you're connecting from, i'm a tad disappointed it's not public connections but i guess that just makes it safer for people who don't want the whole SV debacle happening all over again

well said, re scanned all my channels are here and working fine. i just had the wrong frequencies. a channel list and decent bouquet wouldnt go a miss if im honest. looks good so far.

Good stuff, glad you are up and running. The channel list option is sure something the receivers can support by the way of an online download direct from an FTP server via the receivers menu, the problem with this against satellite is cable has so many different areas that it would take someone from each area to provide the channel list (ideally sorted out in a nice order) before this would really become feasible. I know for sure there are one or two private sites offering this already but if we could get enough of us together to provide these from each of the areas then it would be very easy to setup the FTP site to host them all, it's getting someone from each area with the receiver willing to provide the channel list and keep it up to date which is the harder part...

Yes. There used to be loads of bouquets. All different areas. U would download one and install it. If u tweaked it u would upload it. Here's hoping it gets better as the interest goes up.

Lavaman

I aint no seller but I can say from personal experience that the amiko tuner is weaker than both the Q5 and dreambox using the exact same feed. It may be an isolated area issue but there are differences. Dont get me wrong I think they are still great wee boxes and represent very good value for money. They have more potential than say the Q5 and the 2 year hardware warranty is more than the 2 minutes you get from PRC :proud:

Stef the channel editor aint great but you can with a bit of patience set up your channels. Good to see you are sorted mate.

Wasn't suggesting you were a seller deanoboy, just mentioned in passing to be honest as something I have witnessed recently, but that's a very select few.. They though I can assure you are not weaker tuners than those others mentioned, but cable is in many respects a little harder to get just right in each and every area for one but of course even each connection to the property from the cab then what happens in the property (if it's split, to high, to low etc.), more than happy to agree though that you may get different results at the same location with different brands sometimes (on the whole probably not, but sometimes sure), but most of the time there is always a way to tweak and/or change things so as not to, spent probably the last 8 months or so working with these now on and off and know most all their qwerks, nothings perfect of course but yep also great points you make on the other things to consider to, it's not just the most obvious things to take into account sometimes. :)

Regarding the editing of channels, the AliEditor is poor, no doubt about that I'm afraid, there is the SetEdit software you can purchase though from the German guy for a few Euros (worth paying the guy if you do intend on making good use of it) but personally I use the built in channel editor on the receiver, works perfectly well and will do all you need, also easier on cable as you don't have masses of regional channels to contend with unlike satellite plus once you are used to it you can have a list done from start to finish in no time.... AliEditor I'd avoid to be honest, SetEdit is nice if you don't mind paying just a few Euros, but the built in editor is my own personal choice, it's free, easy and comprehensive.

i found that the first scan did not find all channels but each subsequent scan found more transponders which in turn found more channels on the next scan and so on

That would usually suggest either the default settings for your area are not the correct ones or that you don't have NIT Search set to yes, if both those details are correct though and of course you have a suitable signal then it will pull in everything for your area first time, every time, but it is key having these details correct otherwise you can expect a few missing channels because the default TPs may not all be there and/or the default frequency etc. and NIT Search won't be telling the receiver where to 'look' for what it needs.

That would usually suggest either the default settings for your area are not the correct ones or that you don't have NIT Search set to yes, if both those details are correct though and of course you have a suitable signal then it will pull in everything for your area first time, every time, but it is key having these details correct otherwise you can expect a few missing channels because the default TPs may not all be there and/or the default frequency etc. and NIT Search won't be telling the receiver where to 'look' for what it needs.

when i look for the frequencies i dont see them. theres a list and uddingston ony has one number behind it, whereas a lot of other places has all the frequencies behind them. so im kinda fumbling in the dark a weee bit. ive asked on here for the exact frequencies to scan as yet ive not seen them.

Not quite sure what you mean exactly, you mean you are looking for what is the default settings (frequency, symbol rate etc.) for your area or you mean something else? If it's the default settings do you know for sure what NET ID you are for your area and if you do is this because you've taken it from an official receiver or did you get it some other way?

Back