Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
    If I told you that I would have to kill you.
    DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Virgin Media Hub!!

I recently got 30MB broadband from Virgin Media and they've given me the "Media Hub" or whatever the **** it's called, I don't really give a shit.

Anyway, this hub is total shite, it's shitier than the most shittest shit on this here earth (you get the idea, I'm pissed off).

I still have my old Virgin Media modem, from what I gather it's a "Ambit" model number: E08C013.00. Basically, this one:

http://nickpackhamonline.files.wordp...3032009241.jpg

Can I use this instead with my own router, or can this not handle 30MB??

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Virgin Media Hub!!

Whats wrong with the home hub? I have one, and its fine for 50mb. AFAIK, only the hubs can handle the higher speeds mate. So I dont think you can use your old modem.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mines working great although when the VM engineer came to install it he had no idea how to get it my p.cs back on the net.
    He then kindly left with me with no Internet and said it was up to me to sort out as the modem was showing as being working on his tester.
    I discovered this was down was down to the p.cs having static ips and really simple to fix.
    Not good service at at all!

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T.N.T View Post
    Mines working great although when the VM engineer came to install it he had no idea how to get it my p.cs back on the net.
    He then kindly left with me with no Internet and said it was up to me to sort out as the modem was showing as being working on his tester.
    I discovered this was down was down to the p.cs having static ips and really simple to fix.
    Not good service at at all!
    Well he is right. He is only there to install the modem, once is showing as working on the system, then its your responsibility to get it working on your PC, or to contact technical support. Remember most engineers are not technical!

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by janobi View Post
    Well he is right. He is only there to install the modem, once is showing as working on the system, then its your responsibility to get it working on your PC, or to contact technical support. Remember most engineers are not technical!
    I disagree. He should know that the Super dud doesn't like static IP addresses!!

I agree the hub ( super dud) is the biggest pile of crap, unless its connected via a wired connection. Wireless is terrible. I've created a DMZ to my old router to allow me to use wireless on that instead, and bought some powerlines to have a wired connection to my main pc. With a few configuration changes its ok for me now.

Bad news is your ambit modem doesn't support over 20mb, and virgin no longer support standalone modems so you're stuck with the hub. I nagged them for a 50mb standalone modem and they said "no". Even if you cancel you're upgrade, your still stuck with the hub. They also confiscated my old modem :-(

Good news is they are working on a new firmware to change the dud into a modem only, so you can plug your old router back into it without creating a DMZ. I heard this would be available in May

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Purity View Post
    I disagree. He should know that the Super dud doesn't like static IP addresses!!

I agree the hub ( super dud) is the biggest pile of crap, unless its connected via a wired connection. Wireless is terrible. I've created a DMZ to my old router to allow me to use wireless on that instead, and bought some powerlines to have a wired connection to my main pc. With a few configuration changes its ok for me now.

Bad news is your ambit modem doesn't support over 20mb, and virgin no longer support standalone modems so you're stuck with the hub. I nagged them for a 50mb standalone modem and they said "no". Even if you cancel you're upgrade, your still stuck with the hub

Good news is they are working on a new firmware to change the dud into a modem only, so you can plug your old router back into it without creating a DMZ. I heard this would be available in May
    Why does the engineer need to know that it dont support a static IP? Its not his responsibility. He installs the modem, he dont install it to the PC.

And mine works fine over wireless. I get 5.92mb/s off newsgroups without problems.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by janobi View Post
    Why does the engineer need to know that it dont support a static IP? Its not his responsibility. He installs the modem, he dont install it to the PC.

And mine works fine over wireless. I get 5.92mb/s off newsgroups without problems.
    I would class this as a poor service if he leaves you with something that doesn't work for your setup

I'm glad yours works fine over wireless. You're obviously one of the lucky ones. There are a shite load of posts on the web, especially the VM forums, saying how poor the wireless is

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Purity View Post
    I would class this as a poor service if he leaves you with something that doesn't work for your setup

I'm glad yours works fine over wireless. You're obviously one of the lucky ones. There are a shite load of posts on the web, especially the VM forums, saying how poor the wireless is
    I may be one of the lucky ones, afaik, they dont have to prove it works on your setup. If its working on their test equipment, then it works. Its your responsibility to install it and make it work on your system. Or that is how I understand it.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your old modem does not support DOCSIS3 which is required for 30mb and above service.

DW Cash
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I see it is If it is an upgrade to an already fully working setup then when the engineer leaves your house the same should be the case ie it should all be configured and working. On the other hand if its a new install then his only priority should be to install and confirm it to be working. I agree though that the hub sounds like a pile of crap especially when you read about all the complaints.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last