Virgin remote question

IAmATeaf

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So my old blue sharp shape remote is on its last legs so I ring up Virgin and they send me out a new 1, long thin and sleek but when I program the code in for the TV, it does the normal volume, mute and on/off but on the old I could press '*' and say the red button and that would flick my TV onto AV1 and '*' 7 would change the actual TV channel to 7.

All good stuff but on the new remote the '*' and a key sequence doesn't seem to do anything.

Is there something I'm doing wrong are is this the price I'm paying for so called progress?

not sure if its just the new type that wont let you do it or if they can be reprogrammed, but why dont you check on ebay for the same type as your old 1 (if there is any) then you can use the extra functions again.

Sometimes 2+ different codes work on your TV, one will do everything one will only do volume, etc etc....

Try a different code, also you could try the 0010 code, which will allow you to keep pushing the standby button until the TV turns off then save it. It basically tries each code once, when you get the one that works hit OK to save.

Press and hold the *(STAR) and TV buttons on your remote again for a seconds, until the light flashes
Enter the 4 digit code for your TV Brand and press OK
Pointing the remote at your TV, press and hold down the STANDBY button. Keep it pressed down and pointing at your TV. As soon as your TV switches off, release the STANDBY key and press the OK key. Note, you might need to keep the STANDBY key pressed down for some minutes before anything happens.
Turn your TV back on, and test the volume keys. If they don’t control your TV, repeat steps 5 to 7.
If your TV brand isn’t listed above, or the code for your TV hasn’t worked, try repeating steps 5 to 8 using the code 0010 – this performs a search through all the codes in the remote, which can take some time to complete.

Sometimes 2+ different codes work on your TV, one will do everything one will only do volume, etc etc....

Try a different code, also you could try the 0010 code, which will allow you to keep pushing the standby button until the TV turns off then save it. It basically tries each code once, when you get the one that works hit OK to save.

I think the codes have changed for the newer remotes, I tried the go through all codes till the TV goes into mute but after around 15 minutes of pressing the ch+ button I gave up. For Panasonic there are some 12+ codes so when I'm really bored I'll give those a go and see what happens.

Back