Using PS2 ONLINE ?

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is a question a friend asked me to find out about.

The playstation 2 as far as iam aware can go online and play games etc across the internet.

The guy aint got a clue, he needs to know how he sets his PS2 up to do this.

He has AOL through the bt phone line etc, i think its just thier basic package which i think is 1mb speed.

He's never had the internet hooked up to the playstation, only his pc, and as i say he aint got a clue.

So what i need to know is, firstly, can he connect the ps2 to his aol BB connection ?? and if so, what exactly does he need to do this ?

please give me as much detail as possible and i'll forward it onto him.

thanks a lot guys :Cheers:

its been a while since i used a console to go online but i used to use my dreamcast to enter web browsers and chat rooms which made me buy a pc why dont u google on ( PS2 ONLINE GAMES) im sure ull find somickto go on ull obviously need the right cable to go from your ps2 to your modem ( thats not a problem obviously buy one off ebay ) i might just have a look my self lol im a dab hand at tiger woods :mad:) im sure it will take 10 mins reading

its been a while since i used a console to go online but i used to use my dreamcast to enter web browsers and chat rooms which made me buy a pc why dont u google on ( PS2 ONLINE GAMES) im sure ull find somickto go on ull obviously need the right cable to go from your ps2 to your modem ( thats not a problem obviously buy one off ebay ) i might just have a look my self lol im a dab hand at tiger woods :mad:) im sure it will take 10 mins reading

would appreciate it mate as i dont even own a playstation 2, so i aint even got a clue what type of cable i would be looking for to from playsation to an aol modem which connects to bt phone line, as i say, iam trying to find out all the info for a friend.

A PlayStation 2 Network Adaptor
A Cable or ADSL modem for broadband connection; just a phone line for narrowband connections. The Network Adaptor available in North America does include a 56k built-in analog modem.
A PlayStation 2 Memory Card with about 150k available to install the Network Adaptor drivers and software.
A connection to an Internet Service Provider.
Certain games may require the Hard Disk Drive to be played.
What is exactly the Network Adaptor? When was it released and how much does it cost?
The Network Adaptor is a peripheral required to play online games with your PS2. The adaptor has a built-in V90 modem and 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet interface for broadband connection where you can plug your ADSL or Cable modem.

The Network Adaptor was released on August 27th 2002 in North America, and retails for $39.99. In 2003, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe launched the Adaptor in Europe; the European model supports only broadband connections. It currently retails in U.K. for £29.99.

1.3 Is it difficult to install the Network Adaptor? Will I need to open my console?
No and no. You'll need no more than a minute to install the Network Adaptor. It fits into the port on the back of your PS2, and all you need is a nickel or a common screwdriver to plug in the adaptor.

After this simple operation, you just have to install the drivers and the software (included in the package with the Adaptor) on your Memory Card.

1.4 I have a broadband connection. Where do I connect the Adaptor?
You just have to connect the Network Adaptor to the Cable or ADSL modem you currently use with your PC.

1.5 I have a normal narrowband 56k connection. Where do I connect the Adaptor?
The Adaptor comes with a built-in 56k modem. You just have to plug your phone line into the right port. If you want more information about online gaming on a normal dial-up connection, read our special feature.

1.6 Can I use my USB (narrowband/broadband) modem to play online with my Ps2?
Since the Network Adaptor doesn't have a USB port, this is a question we receive often from our readers. Using your USB modem to play with your PlayStation 2 is certainly possible, also with PlayOnline games and services (even if, strangely, PlayOnline website gives a negative answer to this question), but you can't connect it straightly to the USB connection on the front of the console. To connect your USB modem to the PlayStation 2, the best solution is leaving the modem connected to your PC, and then setup an Internet Connection Sharing connection between the PC and the PlayStation 2. To do this, you will need:

USB Modem with USB device cable
Windows 98 or higher installed on your PC
1 available Ethernet Card on your PC
One Cat5 twisted pair straight cable

That should put you in the right direction if your get stuck

PlayStation 2: PlayStation 2 Online Games FAQ at Ps2Fantasy.com - 65k

What prompted my friend to think about hooking up his ps2 online is cause he bought the new game "fifa 2007", but as soon as he got it he noticed that several players werent transfered to certain teams etc.

BUt the good part is that EA have already launched a patch that updates all the teams till present day :)

Iam wondering this though, wouldnt it be possible to get this update patch on the pc and stick it on a cd/dvd or summit then load it into the ps2 that way, or are these patch's only appliable via ps2 hooked to the net ????

I know my freind gets updates for pro evo and uses a disk id amagine so
google it and let me know how u get on .

if he has the slimline ps2 then its ok but if not dont let him buy a second hand adaptor as the MAC adress on it might be blocked for using foul/racist language :)

I know my freind gets updates for pro evo and uses a disk id amagine so
google it and let me know how u get on .

Ive been looking mate, cant see anything on this, please help ?

if he has the slimline ps2 then its ok but if not dont let him buy a second hand adaptor as the MAC adress on it might be blocked for using foul/racist language :)

he doesnt know if its the slimline model or not, lol, all he can tell me is that as far as he knows he bought it couple of years ago and says he's pretty sure its the standard model.

sorry mate, im busy at work, what are you trying to do ?

Get a ps2 online and play backed up games ?

sorry mate, im busy at work, what are you trying to do ?

Get a ps2 online and play backed up games ?
doesnt matter now mate, i contacted EA and they told me that i cant get the team roster updates unless i connect the ps2 to the internet, i was thinking i might have been able to get the updates on my pc and burn to a cd/dvd then run the disk on the ps2, but EA says no, so i suppose thats that then, lol.

Back