Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Cracked: On-Line Gaming For Free?

english

Inactive User
Reaction score
All the info provided here is from another thread started by DW user sargieboy, I've invited him to come and speak about it himself. All credit to him for the following information!! :Clap:

Quote:

'Finally cracked ds setup to get it working with my LYNKSIS WRK54G ROUTER was all to do with transmiision rates and stuff all the advanced stuff normal networks dont need touching so nintendo definately have some work to do!

OK m8 heres what i did this is the only setup that works too

on setup up page of the router set mtu to enabled at 1500
set time to GMT London
on wireless page have router set to mixed mode
set to channel 11
on wireless security page of router setup set a 128bit wep key and give that to your PC and you ds
for security in the wireless network access put in the mac address given to your ds in mac 01 and set to allow

heres important part

in advanced wireless settings page of router setup set basic rates to 1-2 mbps
set control TX rate to 1mbps
set to short preamble
cts mode disabled

enable DMZ

make sure you have it setup to obtain ip automatically and you should be away.

Currently there are games available that are wifi enabled theese are

mario kart ds
tony hawks american skateland
animal crossing
metroid prime hunters

These are playable online with people from around the world. Nintendo have just revealed that they are bringing out an internet browser for the ds and also a tv tuner although they say the tuner may not be available in europe but browser will be..'

Ok I have two questions for sargieboy ;) because I haven't got any kind of wireless internet yet:

1: Will this work roms on-line? (Surely??)
2: Will the Nintendo DS/PSP USB Wi-Fi Max Dongle do the same thing?

regards, JL

:mexican: :mexican:

Thanks for the info, first a few questions:
1) Can i use WPA encryption? Already got that set up
2) Can the router still be used as normal with these changes?

Thanks,
DOS

DOS said:
Thanks for the info, first a few questions:
1) Can i use WPA encryption? Already got that set up
2) Can the router still be used as normal with these changes?

Thanks,
DOS

1: I do believe WEP encryption is essential:

'We have no plans for WPA at this time.

If your concerned about WEP, turn your computers OFF after you’ve switch to WEP for the DS. I don’t care if The Lone Gunmen are parked outside your door with a van full of equipment trying to bust in your computer files, they can’t do it if your computers are off. And, yes, your wireless router will still work if your computer is off. Um, unless it’s plugged into the same power strip and you power the whole strip off.

If that’s not an option for you, you may want to get the Nintendo USB WiFi Connector, as it works ONLY with the Nintendo DS, and you can leave your other WiFi router with WPA.

NOTE: The reason the Nintendo DS is compatible with WEP, and not WPA, is that we found WEP to be the most prevalent standard for securing wi-fi connections.'

2: No the router can only be set up this way for the DS. I've read that you can switch between WEP and WPA modes in the router?

Hopefully some mega wizz will post something more on this soon ;) Still learnin myself here

JL.

Thanks for the info :)
i'll have a mess around in my router settings to see if i can set up 2 profiles or something like that.

DOS said:
Thanks for the info :)
i'll have a mess around in my router settings to see if i can set up 2 profiles or something like that.

Let us know how you get on m8 :)

Couldnt find anything on my belkin router...might give their tech support a call and sere if its possible to change between two lots of settings, and if not, suggest it as a feature for a future firmware upgrade.

DOS said:
Couldnt find anything on my belkin router...might give their tech support a call and sere if its possible to change between two lots of settings, and if not, suggest it as a feature for a future firmware upgrade.

That or 'you may want to get the Nintendo USB WiFi Connector, as it works ONLY with the Nintendo DS, and you can leave your other WiFi router with WPA.'

:Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

Yeh, but that mean leaving it on a pc...it is usb isnt it?

Or could it be plugged into the usb on my router?

I suppose if its only going to be used occasionally, its not too bad.

I'll let you know if i find anything out.

DOS

Back