Do I Need a New Motor?

killdeer

Inactive User
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago here in West Lancs there was a particularly heavy fall of snow. My south-facing roof is covered with solar panels which the snow stuck to about 9 inches deep.

At around 11pm, all the snow fell off something like an avalanche, making a loud boom as it hit the conservatory roof. The next morning I found that my TD88 dish had been moved somewhat .

In order to regain a signal on my 5402 I had to change my longitude setting in usals by a whole percentage point. This was just stopgap as a couple of days ago I replaced the dish with a TD110. In order to get the longitude to the correct reading I carefully moved the mount on the pole.

So I thought that was that, all appeared sorted and I was getting a significant improval in signal quality especially on 7.3 west. For a short time usals was working perfectly but then it started missing satellites and I was forced into nudging the motor for every position.

So basically, there is obviously a problem, but is it with my motor, my receiver, both or something else. Has the weight of snow impacting the dish etc. damaged the gearing in the motor, perhaps?

Do you know if there's any means of slack adjustment with this motor?

I've been reading that there's a reset button on the motor itself but I can't find out exactly what resetting would achieve.

I should have said that it's a Technomate 2600 motor ie the model with metal gearing.

Do you know if there's any means of slack adjustment with this motor?

I've been reading that there's a reset button on the motor itself but I can't find out exactly what resetting would achieve.

I should have said that it's a Technomate 2600 motor ie the model with metal gearing.

You can alter the excess play in the motor stub on a TM2600, you will of course need a hammer and a sturdy screwdriver to complete the task. I have attached a small guide for you to follow all credit to the original Author of the backlash Adjustment Guide

Attachments

• BacklashAdjustment.zip
    44.1 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for posting that guide digi247. I've also come across an alternative method of reducing such slack.

Attempting either of these ways has had to be put on hold for the time being though. Yesterday evening, there were some incredible gusts of wind the like of which I'd not seen for some considerable time.

Looking out of the kitchen window I could make out the dish being moved back and fore. Panic stricken I shouted for help from my son and I climbed up a ladder while he held onto its base. I tightened the nuts holding the dish onto the motor while I was being battered by the wind. Very very scary.
I don't feel like going up that ladder again until the wind has died right down.

Back