iPod IPOD touch 8GB 3.1.2 FW help needed

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i've just bought one for me lad at crimbo a itouch 8gb and it has 3.1.2 firmware on it.
im a total newbie when it comes to itouch stuff so will this be a 3rd gen IPOD touch ? and if so can it be cracked ?.
i read something about you can only turn it back on by connecting it back to the PC if switched off or the battery dies , , is this true ?.
any links or help please thanks.

just sent you a PM m8

after digging abit deeper can someone answer a coule of things ? how do i detect if i have a 2nd or a 3rd gen ipod touch 8gb .and what does "tethered" mean ?.
there's mention of this and im wondering if this applies to the ipod touch's i bought ?.
i read the if you turn it off you have to connect it back to the PC or will it not work.
bit confusing so can someone clear up exactly what tethered really means ?.
no good for a kid in the car who wants to save the battery , turns it off then cant turn it back on ( if thats the case) .
i just want to know what affect cracking it and the "tethered" crack actually means and how it affects the ipod touch's use when switched on off then back on.

me too :) debating weather to do my daughters new touch ?
anyone got any comments who have already done this ?

:)

Hi guys, the tethered applies to the iphone and not the ipod touch, all it does is allow you to use the phone as a modem to connect a laptop to the net with the sync cable, I have been using mine for a while and done quite a few friends with blackrain and never had a problem.

hope this helps, if you need any more info give me a shout!

Hi, been thinking about it myself, take a look at this, may help give you an idea.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7DnqOS1njU[/ame]

Hi guys, the tethered applies to the iphone and not the ipod touch, all it does is allow you to use the phone as a modem to connect a laptop to the net with the sync cable, I have been using mine for a while and done quite a few friends with blackrain and never had a problem.

hope this helps, if you need any more info give me a shout!

The tether also applies to the ipod touch on 3.12,i know this as Rat was asking if he would lose his apps when the battery ran out so i let it run out to see what happened and yes the tether was broken.

Tethered in this case means once the phone loses it battery charge and 'jailbreak' or 'unlock' (iphone) will be lost, this is due to the exploit being loaded into an area of memory that is reset when the device loses power

Tethered in this case means once the phone loses it battery charge and 'jailbreak' or 'unlock' (iphone) will be lost, this is due to the exploit being loaded into an area of memory that is reset when the device loses power

Yes that is correct :Clap:

what blahdragon was saying was wrong ! the correct information should only be posted to save any confusion.

Bronto was going to put the correct procedures on how to jaibreak and any myths attached to it in a sticky, the sooner the better i say, too much unclear information is starting to appear and this puts uncertinty in peeps minds.

just a follow up , is there a "untethered" hack for the ipod touch 3.1.2 FW ? i bought these for the kids at crimbo and im pissed off getting pestered for apps n games.

any links would be handy ,,,tnx,.

just a follow up , is there a "untethered" hack for the ipod touch 3.1.2 FW ? i bought these for the kids at crimbo and im pissed off getting pestered for apps n games.

any links would be handy ,,,tnx,.

no untethered hacks available yet on 3.12

i would just go for it and keep the ipod charged or better still sitting on a docking station.
when the battery is getting low (below 20%) a message is displayed on the screen so you know it's time for a top up.

but it only takes 30 seconds use blackrain again and all will be ok

The serial number is one way to check; if the 3rd, 4th, and 5th digits of the number are 940 or higher it more than likely has the new bootrom. If it is 939 or less you should have the old bootrom; there may be some iPhones that don't fit into that criteria so here is how to check the bootrom and know for sure what you have (no jailbreak is required):

HERE`S HOW TO TELL IF OLD OR NEW BOOT ROM ON THE IPHONE/IPOD TOUCH

To check iBoot Rom Version on Windows
1. Put your phone into DFU mode (hold power/home till it shuts down and release power when display goes off/continue holding home till you hear a sound on your computer)
2. device manager > universal serial bus controllers > apple mobile device
3. Right click on this and go to properties
4. Click details tab and should be in one of the fields below (change the drop down box till you find iBoot information).

On a Mac:
Put the iPhone in DFU mode then navigate to "About this Mac". From there go to "More Info...", and select USB on the list on the left. Under the USB menu you can select "Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)" and that will bring up information about the iPhone. About half way down it will have the iBoot information: It will either be [iBoot-359.3] or [iBoot-359.3.2] (the 359.3.2 is the new currently unjailbreakable one). To get it out of DFU mode just hold both the home and power button until it powers back on.

Last edited:
Back