iPhone slingplayer mobile on 3g o2

steakunkidney

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I was wondering if any of you know a work around for a problem we have, we have a slingbox and two i phones, one on 3 the other on o2(mrs), both i phones work perfectly on our own network using wifi, however once outside this the i phone on three work fine however the i phone on o2 will not allow connection,i believe o2 are blocking port 5001 for connection and maybe others, i have tried My3g and 3g unrestrictor but with same results...........I rang o2 and they said that they dont support streaming

any help appreciated

I was using slingplayer on my iphone last summer during the world cup to watch the footy at work via o2 and it worked fine then. However since then i've not even had the slingbox turned on, and have since moved over to GiffGaff. If i get chance after work today i'll plug mine back in and give it a try and see if it works over GiffGaff, if it does then should work on O2 as well seeing as Giffgaff use the o2 network.

Well, i've just tried to connect to my Slingbox over the 3G signal and it just won't connect to the slingbox at all, but as soon as i switch to wifi it works fine. If i login to slingbox.com i can connect to the slingbox and watch tv from there.

I think i'll be posting a question about this over on the GiffGaff community forums too.

at least i know it nothing to do with my settings, cant believe that O2 will not support streaming

on a more positive not itvplayer can be tricked into thinking its on wifi by using 3g unrestrictor

another thing i find bizarre is if i use the i phone on O2 as a wifi hotspot via MYwii i can connect the laptop and stream slingplayer and anything else

Last edited:
Ah finally, i've got mine working over 3G now on GiffGaff. I had to reconfigure my slingbox via this link and it now streams over 3G perfectly although i did have to swap the network cable i was using twice.

Might be worthwhile trying that link out, i had to go through it twice but all working again now :)

This has stumped me, tryed the link gone through set up procedure, one i phone connects three netwotk, other O2 cant must be something on the i phone cellular network serttings, if anybody on O2 who`s got this working can you send me your settings s i can check against ours, O2 customer service piss poo

sorted changed settingson i hpone to the following and all working
From the main screen of your iPhone, tap Settings > General > Network
Tap ‘Cellular Data Network’.
Under ‘Cellular Data’, tap APN and change ‘idata.o2.co.uk’ to ‘mobile.o2.co.uk’ (‘o2’ needs to be written with a letter ‘o’, not a zero). You don’t need to change your username and password.
Ignore the APN box under ‘Visual Voicemail’ – it’s not available if you don’t have an iPhone Pay Monthly tariff.
Under MMS, tap APN and change ‘idata.o2.co.uk’ to ‘wap.o2.co.uk’ (‘o2’ needs to be written with a letter ‘o’, not a zero). You don’t need to change your username and password.
Turn your iPhone off and on again.

Back